Chapter 2

I couldn't believe it. This man was actually my dad.

"You are my daughter Dahlia, yes?" I just stood there, staring at this strange man. This was not quite the introduction I expected. "Um, yeah." The big man smiled. "Well then! Let's go get your luggage, Dahlia. You can eat these chips on the way home." 

Since I don't really want to call him my dad, I'll just call him Mr. Harrison. Mr. Harrison led me to a small yellow truck that was full of what looked like boxes and boxes of rubber duckies. I guess mom was right, he is really a big wacko., I thought as I squeezed in between the rubber duckies. "Where's the seatbelt?" I asked suddenly, interrupting the quiet. "Ah, yes, safety first. I like the way you think!" He pointed behind a small box of pink rubber ducks. I rolled my eyes and fastened my seatbelt.

The whole ride to Mr. Harrison's house consisted of him telling me stories of weird "adventures" that he's had over his years in the plumbing business. And yep, he sells rubber duckies as a second job. Pathetic, strange, late, loud, and annoying. Just like mom said., I thought as I continued to pretend to listen. We turned into a neighborhood with a big sign that said, "Rettbrook". I looked out my window, eager to see what my new neighborhood looked like, and saw the strangest thing I had ever seen in my life.

Standing outside in each driveway, a family stood together, smiling, laughing, and waving. In my old neighborhood, scary-looking emo people gave me the evil eye when I walked by. These people were acting like I was the most important person in the world. And I liked it. Still, it was slowly creeping me out.

"Why are they waving at me?", I asked, turning to my....dad. "Oh, we had a neighborhood meeting last night, and I told everybody that my daughter was moving in with me, so we had this great idea to have everybody come out and give you the best welcome ever!!!!!!!" Hey, that was pretty sweet. Maybe he won't turn out to be that bad., I thought as we turned in to Mr. Harrison's driveway.