Chapter One: Present Day

• इन्हें समर्पित: Wanderer97

A/N

Hey!!! Just so u know, i usually start with a long winded off point authors note. But it's almost midnight so not this time!!! Love this chapter ;)

•••

PRESENT DAY

"BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!" My alarm on my watch blares into my ear, and I sit bolt upright in my bed. I glance at my nightstand. A picture of Mark and I sitting in our favourite spot by the fountain, holding hands and laughing. As I see his happy smiling face, guilt spreads through me like fire. I shake it off. It happens every morning. I quickly brush my medium length black hair, with purple highlights at the end, and pull on jeans and a comfortable purple tee. Then I carefully clip a section of my hair back with my magic clip. I'm not looking forward to today. Ever since the Greeks fired their warship on camp two days ago, Octavian has been pushing to declare war along with most if the camp. They don't understand. War isn't fun. It's not a game. And it's not something you take lightly. Of course, I don't expect them to understand the cost of war, as most of the kids haven't been here long enough to fight in the Titan War. The few that have are lucky. They survived it. A lot of kids didn't make it through that war... Thinking of that causes me to glance at my photo again.

I slip on my toga over my camp clothes. There's a meeting to discuss war tactics today. Senators only. Unfortunately, Jason and Reyna wouldn't let me quit being senator after the war; even after I was so depressed I slacked off every single duty I had. That's the problem with your friends being the Praetors. They won't fire you, no matter how hard you try. After Jason disappeared, Reyna and I grew closer than ever before. Except for when we first met, when we were both little kids with ego problems, and Reyna wasn't so stiff and I wasn't hung up over my dead boyfriend. I glance at my watch. I have half an hour before the meeting starts. I run down the steps of my cohorts cabin. Just because I'm Reyna's friend (and half sister), it doesn't mean she won't get pissed at me if I'm late for an important meeting. I run up to Terminus.

"ID! Hurry up Senator Harper, or you'll be late!" He barks at me. I roll up my sleeve and show him my tattoo. Five stripes and a simplified image of a spear and sword crossing, for my mother, Bellona.

"Bellona. Fine. WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT THE HAIRCLIP SENATOR HARPER?!" Terminus screams as I try to pass the border without handing over my magic sword, disguised as a hair pin.

"That if I snuck it in again, I'd have to measure every blade of grass in the valley." I sigh, pulling out my clip and putting it onto Julia's waiting tray, which already has a collection of wicked looking knives and a cranberry muffin. I run to the meeting house just as the last few kids were trickling in. I'm not late. Thank the gods.

I take my place in the third row and sit down. Reyna stands up and surveys the fifteen senators spread before her, plus Octavian.

"Welcome Senators. We're here to discuss the possibility of war against the Greeks." At these words everyone else in the room, including the ghosts, starts yelling angrily.

"Possibility?!"

"They destroyed our camp!"

"They need to be brought down!"

Reyna gives the whole room a piercing stare, and everyone shuts up. Smart move.

"Before the legion declares war, there has to be an official senate meeting. Which is what we are doing." Reyna says, glaring evilly at the spirits, who had been making most if the noise.

"Praetor, if I may," Octavian started. I roll my eyes and yawn loudly.

"Oh brother." I mutter audibly enough so everyone can hear. A few snickers later, Octavian begins his speech.

"When the Greeks arrived, we," he says, emphasising the word "we", to mean "Reyna", "trusted them. Let them into our camp. Feasted with them. But they betrayed our trust. They twisted our former praetor's mind, making him believe they were trustworthy. They fired on our camp, and flew away. We must avenge our camps honour! I have read the signs from the gods. They wish us to declare war on the Greeks!" Octavian yells, sending cheers throughout the meeting hall. That is, until my hearty laugh quiets everyone down.

"Praetor, if I may," I say sarcastically, mimicking Octavian's tone. I stand up.

"If you think some teddy bear fluff is enough to justify the lives that will be lost in this potential war, then you're insane. War should not be taken lightly. It isn't fun. It's not a game. And it definitely is not the best solution to the problem at hand." I say, narrowing my eyes at Octavian.

"If I may remind the senate of senator Harper's impaired judgement, due to traumatising experiences in the last war." Octavian says, glaring at me.

Impaired judgement?! He was going too far.

"If experience 'impairs judgment' as you put it, then my judgement is much more 'impaired' than yours." I spit back at him.

"Eight years of experience to five?" He says scathingly, "Or perhaps senator Harper is too cowardly to take part in this war."

I hear a lot of sucked in breath. Most people wouldn't insult me like that if they were paid too. Being one of the best sword-players at camp comes in handy. Most people would get angry at something like that. But I keep my cool.

"Me? A coward? Might I remind the senate, that in the Titan War, my entire cohort, along with myself, obviously, came out alive? And where were you Octavian? You didn't even fight! You were off to the sides decapitating stuffed animals for fake messages while the rest of us fought for our lives, and suffered losses! People died honourably in that war! Now who's the coward in that instance?" I say cooly, though my voice raises with anger at some parts. Octavian turns a satisfying shade of pink. It's true that he didn't fight in the war. I sit down, satisfied with my comeback. He smiles at me after a few seconds.

"You're right. People did die honourably in that war. This war is another chance for honour." Octavian says shrewdly.

"Chance?" I say, my voice shaking dangerously.

"Chance?! Starting a war over 'honour' is not justifiable to the lives it will take! Do you know how many losses we suffered in the Titan War?! Forty-Six! We had one hundred and three campers total, and almost half of them died for honour. We can't afford to take a roll that large again!"

"This will be different. We outnumber the other camp two to one. It'll be as easy as stepping on an anthill. We can wipe out the Greeks forever!"

His speech has the ghosts and most of the senators cheering.

"So you're planning on commuting genecide?" Harry, one of the senators from cohort two asks.

This triggers a bunch of muttering.

"Enough!" Reyna says loudly, "The debate is done. It's time to vote."

This triggers excited muttering.

"Against starting a war against the Greeks of Camp Half-Blood."

My hand goes up, along with Harry's and a few others. Not enough though.

"For starting a war against Camp Half-Blood."

More than half the hands go up. I close my eyes and bury my head in my hands. This is going to be a nightmare.

The Blood of the Roman [NOT UPDATED SINCE 2014]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें