Chapter 9

We set off, first going south then, thanks to Kendra's amazing memory (sarcasm), we ran into the Territory River, a river that branches off from the main river. I turn to her.

"You must have forgotten to tell us that there was a river here." I told her. She glared at me. Then the frown was replaced by an evil grin.

"Sounds like somebody is grumpy. I know exactly how to cheer you up." She said. My eyes widened as I realized what she was going to do.

"No." I said. Kendra stifled a laugh. She brought her arms up and did a fancy move. A tentacle of water slid around my waist and yanked me backwards. Now you may not think that that is possible. Well, it is. I flew back into the air and landed in the water. Under I went. The water wouldn't let me go. Finally, it released me and I swam up to the surface. I jumped up and my wings reappeared. Hovering above the water, I shot towards Kendra. Her tentacle had pulled me into the middle of the river. Kendra's eyes widened and then she shot her hand up. A spout of water shot up right in front of me. I went vertical to the spout then looped around it. Several more times she challenged me, but each time I overcame them. Finally I swooped over the land and grabbed Kendra's waist from behind and we shot up in the sky. She laughed, a pure sound of joy. I flew way up in the sky, and then I dropped her. She fell, a mixture between a scream and a laugh came through her mouth. I swooped down and twisted around. I flew back up and grabbed her again. This time we were face to face. She smiled at me, and I smiled back. I leaned in, but her smile faded and her head dropped. I backed off.

"What's wrong?" I asked her. She looks me back in the eye.

"THIS is wrong." She said. "Let's go over to those rocks." She pointed to the rocky outcropping. I flew over to it and we sat down on top. I asked her again.

"What is wrong?" She looks at me, a pained look in her eyes.

"I am dating someone, Lucas. We can't be out here flirting and, I mean, you leaned in to kiss me and I couldn't do that to my boyfriend." She said. "I have feelings for you, but even if I really wanted to be with you, I would still have to break up with my boyfriend before I even THOUGHT about kissing you." She jumped off of the rocks at that last word. I sat there, stunned.

'So much for relaxing.' I thought. I sighed and dove down into the water. I swam down and down until I was at the bottom. I sighed.

"I HATE THIS!!!" I yelled. Wait, how can I sigh and yell underwater? I sucked in a breath. Water filled my mouth and lungs, but I could still breathe.

'What in the world?!?! I can breathe underwater!' I thought. I swam with the fish for a while, but I got out quickly when a giant electric eel swam not thirty feet away. I climbed onto shore and lay on the soft sand. I saw Faolan come out of the forest with some animals. As he got closer, I saw three rabbits and a weird bird. It looked like a chicken and a turkey mixed.

"What.....is that?" I asked, pointing to the turkey/chicken.

"It's called a dodo." He answered.

"Wait, EXTINCT animals live here too?" I exclaimed. Faolan answered with two calm questions.

"Ok, one: yes. Some live here. If you are wondering about dinosaurs, they live on a different reserve. Two: You seem really stressed. What's wrong?" He asked.

"Ok. There are other reserves? And, well, I just found out I can breathe underwater." I answered.

"Yes there are other reserves! I told you that when I was explaining where we were. Quote: 'We are in Camden Valley, one of the only safe havens left for mythical creatures.' Unquote." He said.

"Oh. Now I feel stupid." I said.

"What was the other thing you said?" He asked.

"Oh, why I seem stressed? Because I found out I can breathe underwater." I said nonchalantly. He stared, open mouthed.

"Yo-yo-you c-can breathe underwater?!?!" He stammered.

"Yeah. Is that abnormal for a light person?" I asked.

"No! Not at all! This is wonderful! Your powers are developing fast!" He said with an exited tone to his voice.

"Wait, I get MORE powers than just light?" I asked.

"Yeah. The light warriors are leaders. They have the ability to learn the other tribe's powers. That's why there is only one in their lifetime and they get reincarnated. It's really cool." He said.

"Ok so, like, what is the first power I learn?" I asked. He smiled.

"Well, since water is the first thing you learned, I think you should start with that. This means you get to spend more time with Kendra." I turned away, hoping I wasn't blushing.

"I-I don't know what you mean by that." I stammered. He laughed.

"Don't think I don't see the way you look at her. I know when a guy likes a girl. Besides, I think you two would be a cute couple." I sighed. I explained everything that had happened while he was off hunting.

"Besides, she has a boyfriend." I said.

"It's an arranged relationship to keep peace with the tribes." He said gently.

"What?!" I said. He nodded.

"Yep. She and the Fire tribe's prince. Royal relationships. Bah!" He said.

"Kendra's royalty?" I asked.

"Yes. She's the Ice princess." He said. I sighed.

"Why has no one told me about this?" I asked.

"I guess it wasn't important at the time. By the way, where is Kendra?" He asked me.

"How would I know? She is ignoring me now." I said.

"Just wondering." He said. "What should we do now?"

"I don't know. Let's have lunch." I said. Faolan morphed and ran around, collecting driftwood. After we piled it up, I asked the Voice.

'How do I make fire?' It answered slowly.

'Concentrate a light beam in a single spot for a few seconds until it smokes.'

'Thanks!' I told it. I did what it said and soon the food was done. We both hollered for Kendra but there was no answer. We ate our share and left some for Kendra for when she got back from wherever she was. Faolan turned to me and asked me something that caught me by surprise.

"Do you want to go hunt supper with me?" He asked. I thought for a minute.

"What about the pack?" I asked.

"I sent them back towards the Deadwoods. So, is that a yes?" He said.

"I would think so!" I said. We left a note in the sand for Kendra.

Kendra, going hunting. Will be back with supper. Lucas and Faolan.

Boy did this day keep on getting better. We set off into the swath of woods around the beach. For about an hour we saw nothing. Finally, we saw a deer.

"Let me handle this one, Luc." He morphed full wolf and then slowly crept up on it and got ready to pounce. His wolf muscles bunched up and he crouched. I looked over to the left of the deer and saw a small flicker of movement.

'The Raven!!!' I thought.

"Faolan, MOVE!" I yelled, not caring that the deer heard me. The deer bucked and I saw a bow and arrow whip out of the bushes. The shot hit not two inches in front of my nose. A young guy, about sixteen, stepped out of the bushes. Wearing camouflage, he blended in well. He had short, dirty blond hair. He growled, and then pointed the bow right at me.