Red Hair

RED HAIR

He died four years ago. I still remember the faint screams that could be heard from next door as he died. Well, "died" isn't the right word. Murdered. His murderer, well, I knew her. I knew her very well, actually. She was never caught, and of course, I would never rat her out, but it was killing me inside. He was only twenty, and he lived on his own. He was my friend, but then again, so was she. He had no family, and he went to work every morning at eight o'clock, to come home again at around eight thirty in the evening, alone. Despite living a clock controlled life, he was fairly happy. I remember his messy black hair and his sad green eyes. His pale skin, that when I went over after I heard the screams, was even paler than ever. His eyes were glassy and bright red blood was dripping from his neck, where a dagger stuck out. I was left in utter shock when I saw him. I started to panic, for I didn't know what to do. I was just about to call emergencies, when a cold hand grabbed me around the neck and gripped. As the air left my lounges, I saw a strand of long red hair. I knew that hair. I managed to turn around and there she was: his murderer.

"I'll be back for you." She had threatened me, breath hot on my neck. I meekly nodded and she let go of me. She gave me one last glare and left.

I let my tears roll down my cheeks. We may not have been that close, but he was still my friend. I left his house. I needed to get away from that place, from her.

I got on the first plane abroad. I ended up in Hungary. I have actually made a good life here, of course, his death still haunts me at night, but, that's the past and I really should just forget about it.

As I'm walking down a side ally, I see a glance of someone I recognise. I run after them. They turn around. He looks like him. He looks as if he's running away from something. I hear footsteps, closing in on us.

"Red. Run." He says and with that he's gone. I don't question it. I run. Fast. Away from the ally. Once I'm far enough away, I rest against a shop front, catching my breath and see a wisp of long red hair.