Let The Games Begin

I slammed my head against the lunch table as I waited for my friends to come.

Slam

Slam

Slam

Before I could give myself more brain damage, a hand forced my head to stop moving. I looked up to see Josh with his hand on my forehead, giving me a disapproving look.

I gave him a piteous look, hoping he would move his hand so I could continue. But he ignored my look as he sat down next to me and placed his jacket on the table in front of me before moving his hand. I let my head fall, not satisfied with the muffled thud it made due to the jacket being in the middle.

“What happened?” He asked, pulling out homework that was probably due next period.

“…Life sucks.” I said, his jacket muffling my voice. I heard him chuckle a bit.

“I kinda figured that out. Want to be more specific?”

I shook my head, bringing my head up and spotting a few more of my friends coming over, including Jake. I pushed the jacket away and slammed my head on the table before Josh could react.

“Damn it, Faythe! Stop doing that!” Josh hissed, shoving the jacket back into place before he continued his work. I scoffed at him before I stood up and walked over to the lunch line to stand by Kat and Miranda, pretending not to see Jake, Colton, Kelly, or Bob along the way.

“…What’s with the red mark on your head, Faythe?” Miranda asked me, stopping mid-sentence with her conversation with Kat. I shrugged, letting a yawn escape my lips. Once we grabbed our food, we sat with the rest of our friends. I pushed the food around on my plate, taking bites every few minutes. I couldn’t really focus on what was being said around me. I pushed my tray away from me and folded my arms, resting my head on them. I practically growled when the bell rang not even a second later.

“Are you kidding me?” I went to slam my head down again, only to be stopped by Josh again.

“I told you to stop already,” he said, rolling his eyes. I stuck my tongue out at him, irritation at not being able to sleep or slam my head down on the table starting to hitch higher than before. But before I could snap, Miranda and Kat whisked me away.

“We all have a free period, right?” Miranda asked, putting her tray away, followed by Kat and I.

“Yeah. And Faythe has some things to explain,” Kat said, giving me a pointed look. I sighed in defeat, my irritation from before deflating.

“…I guess.” I picked up my bag and waved bye to the rest of my friends. I turned to follow my Kat and Miranda, but a hand gripped my arm, stopping me from going anywhere. I turned around to see Jake standing there.

“…Yes?”

He blinked a bit before he shook his head. “Can I talk to you?”

I swear my heart stopped for a full second. “Um…I guess so.”

Before I even finish talking, he was pulling me out of the cafeteria. I looked behind me to look at Miranda and Kat, who had confused faces. I probably mirrored their expressions as the door closed behind me.

- - - - - - - - -

“So…” I prompted after he stopped pulling me around. We had ended up on the far side of the school where the drama class usually took place. But seeing as it was after lunch and the drama teachers never had an afternoon class, the place was deserted.

He leaned against the wall and sighed, sliding down the wall until he was sitting down on the floor. I mimicked his movements on the opposite wall so that we were both facing each other.

He looked at me with a pleading expression. “Can you do me this humongous favor for me?”

I stared at him, not sure what to say. A few minutes passed by with only silence blaring out before I finally answered.

“….what?”

“Um…couldyoupretendtobemygirlfriendforafewmonths?”

I stared at him confused, not sure what he said. He blushed before he cleared his throat. “Um…I was, er, wondering if you could be my pretend girlfriend for a few months?”

I blinked slowly, a small blush forming on my face. “…And why would you need a pretend girlfriend?”

He sighed in exasperation. “Because my crazy ex-girlfriend is to obsessed with getting back with me.”

“…And you think that if you get a girlfriend, she’ll leave you alone?”

“Exactly!”

I deadpanned. “…And you’re being serious about this?”

“Yes!”

I sighed before I thought about it. Sure I wanted to date him, but this is a little too weird…It’s like a parody of what I want twisted with someone’s sick sense of humor. But he was my friend…

I sighed before I nodded my head. “I guess.”

He smiled at me, his face holding relief as he gave me a hug, a first for me. I stiffened a bit, not used to the contact between him and I.

He pulled away and gave me a huge smile.

“Thank you so much, Faythe.”

Damn it. What did I get myself into?