Chapter 15: Molly Miller

Start from the beginning

The woman looked at me with wide eyes. She gasped and mumbled something so low I couldn’t hear her. Tears rushed to her eyes as she covered her mouth with her hand hiding her shock. “Oh my god.” She said. She started to shake and then she started to collapse. I caught her in my arms as she crumbled to the floor bring me with her. “Oh my. My beautiful little girl.” She said touch my face softly, lovingly.

I looked at Justin confused he just smiled sadly at me. “Mrs. Miller,” he said softly, but there was an edge to his voice “this is Alice. She’s a friend of my cousin Lily.” He explained.

The woman looked at me with big sad eyes and gave me an apologetic smile. She stumbled to get up, Justin took her arm and slowly got her to her feet. I stood up right after her. “I’m sorry sweetie.” She said “It’s just you look very much like my daughter.” Tears were still running freely down her face. The woman just looked at me and then as though she had been fighting it off and could not fight no more she hugged me tightly in her arms.

I felt so safe. I felt loved. I felt like I was at home.

But those feelings weren’t mine to have.

I hugged the woman back, patting her back reassuringly. “Alice, this is Skyler’s mother.” I suddenly understood this woman’s need to hug me. From what I heard I was the spitting image of Skyler. And this poor woman had lost her daughter.  “It’s okay.” I mumbled in the woman’s ear.

The Skyler’s mother must have snapped out of it at the sound of my voice and slowly drew away from my arms. “Oh dear,” she said frustrated, wiping tears from her face. “I’m sorry.”

“I understand.” I said quietly.

“I’m Molly.” She said looking at me with so much love in her eyes I felt overwhelmed.

“Alice.” I answered.

“Anyways, why don’t we step into the kitchen while I make some food?”

“Thanks, Miss. Miller.”

“Call me Mom if you want. Or Molly. Anything but Miss. Miller.” Normally I would feel weird calling a woman I barely knew by Mom, but this woman had been through so much, I felt like I owed it to her.

“Thanks mom.” I said quiet. Miss. Miller beamed at me, looking so happy I felt like my day was suddenly better just because of this woman’s smile. But I also felt like I was robbing her real daughter of the love her mother had for her. I felt so many emotions fun through me I felt sick. I felt so much guilt I wanted to throw up. “May I ask where the bathroom is?” I asked choking back tears.

“Up the stairs to the right.” she said.

I nodded and ran up the stairs into the bathroom slammed the door and cried.

Justin’s POV:

“So she really doesn’t remember?” Molly asked, tears in her eyes.

“No I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine. I just-“ she wasn’t able to finish that sentence. She was crying, whether it be tears of joy, tears of sadness of a mixture of both, I would never know.

When she finally stopped crying she looked at me with hopeful eyes “Can she stay with us? Can she see Caden? He misses his sister so much.”

“Not yet.” I said. “We should wait till she feels a bit more comfortable.”

Molly nodded sadly and said “Well, I guess if you must.”

“Where is everyone else?”

“Out. Marv and Kelly are having their second honey moon and Caden is at school.”

“Ah.” I said with a smile.

“You better go check on Skyler, she might have gotten lost.”

I nodded and before I went upstairs I turned around and said “Molly, she will remember. I promise.” Molly Miller just nodded sadly and said “I hope so.”

Alice’s POV:

I didn’t cry long. It wasn’t fair for me to do so. I walked out the bathroom and looked around. The hall way went two separate ways. On the left there were two bedrooms. On the right there was one and then a string at the end of the hallway. I went to the right and slowly made my way towards the random string. I was curious, why was it there? I pulled it and a stair case came down. So it was an attic, I thought. I made my way slowly up the stairs.

I looked around the room. The walls were wooden and there was a ceiling light and a huge window facingthe back of the house overlooking the woods and a small lake I would barely make out it was so far away. The room just felt right. I slowly stepped into the room and walked around. The room had two other rooms one was a small closet. And the other was a huge bathroom. With a huge bath that could pass for a kiddy pool. A shower a toilet and a sink. It was the perfect bathroom. 

I looked around and gasped. I remembered.

i felt like Skyler and her mother needed a reunion.