Chapter 10

After putting in a short day at the Harrison Ranch Cody had stopped by Sherilyn's condo for only the briefest of time before he'd gone to the diner for some grub.

And as soon as he walked in and seen her all his senses had scrambled.

The kiss. The feel of her skin against his.

He hadn't been able to get any of it out of his head. The memories had stuck with him all night and day, and seeing her again had just made the urge to hold her that much worse.

There was no denying it Sherilyn got to him like no other woman before. He'd been young and green when he'd gotten married all those years ago, and he'd also been reeling from a storm of personal revelations about being adopted and unwanted to boot.

And then there had been the buckle bunnies on the rodeo circuit. No comparison there for certain.

Sherilyn just burrowed deep into him, into places he'd kept everyone else out of. Cody didn't know if that scared him or made him feel something else entirely that he couldn't identify.

But there he'd sat at the counter of the diner anyway as if he couldn't stay away.

When she got off of work that night he couldn't help testing his bounderies then, either speaking before he'd fully thought out what he was doing.

"Big plans for the night?" he asked, rising from his stool as she came out from the back room of the diner where she grabbed her coat and purse.

"Nothing more than being a homebody." she said.

He had already paid his bill so he followed her out the door. But when she started to head toward her cherry red Mercedes in the parking lot he snagged her coat.

She looked at him wide eyed. Was she wondering if he meant to pull her into his arms again?

As much as he ached to do that he knew he shouldn't. But he didn't want to let her go either.

"Its not like there is anything to watch on TV." He said. " Why head home?"

"What else do you have in mind for me?" she laughed. "Since you have been running my life and all."

"I only had you sit on a stool."

Something passed over her blue gaze, and he couldn't transalate it, Whatever it was though was gentle. Maybe even as full of yearning as what he felt whenever he was near her.

"Come on." He said, guiding her towards his pickup.

"If you are coming over to dig we can just take our own cars."

"I'm putting off digging for now."

He'd hadn't known what he had planned until he said it right then but she went along with it anyway.

After he helped her into his truck cab and took off on Bayhead Rd then turned on the road leading to St Valentine he drove to a place he had checked out a few times before.

Sherilyn seemed to know where they were as the pickup climbed up hill then slowed near a thick bunch of pines at the top. A few other cars were parked around the area so he steered clear of them.

"Look out point, right?" she asked.

"Some people also call it heartbreak hill." he backed the truck up so that the rear was facing a view of Panama City beneath them, with its lights glowing in the fallen darkness. Then he cut the engine. " You know what they say about this place?"

"Sure. There was a man and a woman who fell in love way back during the thirties and they used to meet here in secret. He wanted to make good out west and she was a party girl who neglected to tell him about her husband. But he found the two of them in the Panama City Hotel and put an end to their affair. Now their ghost and they haunt the place."