Chapter 5

Well isn't this the story of my life? Sherilyn thought as Cody arrived moments before the baby furniture delivery guys wrapped up their business in her condo.

Always with bad timing.

He was at her open door stopping at the threshold after the delivery man from the store in New town carried in a box to the second bedroom.

Cody removed his hat revealing black hair that was so thick and wavy it made her melt.

"Am I interrupting something?" he asked.

All she could do was shrug. "My delivery was late, I was hoping...."

"That I wouldn't be here to see this?"

"Pretty much."

A second delivery man saved her when he came up to her with a slip to sign. When they left she beckoned Cody all the way inside took his coat and hat and put them on her dining room table.

Capital A awkward, she thought. She'd scheduled the delivery when she knew the bulk of her neighbors most of whom had jobs in more modern New town would be at work. And by now she'd meant to have all the furniture in the baby's room shut up tight so Cody wouldn't see it. When the delivery had been delayed she hadn't had a phone number for him to put off his coming over.

But her secret was popping out in the shape of her belly anyway. She knew she had been lucky it'd happen later rather than sooner in her pregnancy because she'd been dreading having to face the questions.

Why not start with explaining her pregnancy to Cody? He was the closest thing she had to a friend in town which was sad. But it'd been her decision to stay private. She still talked to all her old friends the ones who hadn't slept with Brett, on the disposable cell phones she bought. She never told them where she was or that she was pregnant, although she assured them she was safe.

Privacy she thought. And discretion. She didn't want to do anything to raise a red flag and encourage Brett to find her.

"So" she said, crossing her arms in front of her chest. She was wearing a baggy sweater but she still felt as if every pregnant part of her from her swelled boobs to her belly was on display. She also read that most women started feeling unattractive once they hit there third trimester, but...well she liked her bigger boobs. And she liked the roundness of her belly too. "I guess the cats out of the bag."

He stuck his hands in his jean pockets, and that is when she knew for certain that he had already guessed she was pregnant.

"Not to be fresh but your cats becoming obvious." he said.

"How many people do you think have noticed?"

"I have no idea. But it was just the other day when I thought I saw..." He made a slight curving motion with his hand in front of his belly.

"Ah." A flush steamed her face. Either the good people of Panama City hadn't been looking very hard at her or Cody had been...

Well looking more than anyone.

She almost fanned herself at the very thought. It was nice to be looked at by him even though she want to discourage it.

"Pardon me for asking." he said." but why do you care if anyone finds out?"

Oh goody there it went The big league lies.

The words rushed out. "I was seeing the baby's father when I got pregnant but he passed away before he ever knew." Liar." I came here to start over."

That was definitely the truth.

Even so Cody was frowning, as if she tripped up in her story already and he'd caught onto the snag.