Document Insert 10 - Newspaper Clipping From The Margaret Power Archive

From the Maggie Power Archive:

Article from London Illustrated News, November 15th 1842.

All seven branches of the Town and Country Joint Stock Bank have closed across London, after it was found the banks could not be saved. Police and investigators are still calculating how much capital and gold has been stolen from the Bank's main branch at Bishopsgate in the city, as the extent of the bank's losses continued to be audited. Government sources say they have brought in specialist investigators from the Home Office to help, as police and the authorities widen their investigation into what they believe to be widespread criminal practises at the bank.

    Alongside the missing money and gold, over the course of many years investigators believe that hundreds of thousands of pounds may have been fraudulently taken from people investing in shares for a railway company that has been found not to exist.

    Investors in the proposed Bedford to Peterborough railway line – a venture underwritten by the Town and Country Joint Stock Bank – are seeking answers after it was revealed all of the company's capital had been spent before a private members bill had even reached parliament. The financial architect of the scheme, prior to his disappearance, was Mr William Templeton-Wells, a man known in the past for his skills at raising capital for such difficult and risky undertakings.    

    As a consequence of these findings, the two remaining partners at the bank, a Mr Conway and Mr Makewell, were questioned yesterday by the Metropolitan Police at Scotland Yard. Furthermore, it is expected that the pair will also be questioned about the disappearance of the bank's founding partner, Mr William Templeton-Wells.

    Regarding the strange circumstances of Mr Templeton-Wells disappearance, police say they have been inundated with reports and hundreds of witness statements are still being collated. Yesterday a gentleman fitting the description of the missing man was spotted in the vicinity of Epsom. A young woman passing by in a vehicle claimed to have witnessed a person resembling the missing gentleman, being held by two, rough-looking fellows, walking agitatedly towards a black carriage close to the racecourse.

    This latest sighting, along with many others, is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police. Indeed, Detective Sergeant Blake has claimed the high number of false sighting has hindered the investigation, and he has appealed for the public to be very certain about the veracity of what they claim, before contacting local station houses.

    On attempting to contact the woman who had made the claim regarding the incident at Epsom, Blake said he has had difficulty tracking down the woman, and has appealed for her to contact the police once more, so as he can speak with the woman in person.

    A substantial reward for information leading to Mr Templeton-Wells whereabouts still stands; however, the Metropolitan Police once more urged members of the public to be certain about the information they are supplying before contacting them.

***

Thank you so much for reading this chapter. If you have enjoyed it, please remember to vote. Thanks! :-)