Eventually, I peeled the last edge of tape off, pulling the bandage free from my skin. It didn't seem to hurt, and it hadn't for a good two days now, thankfully.
With my eyes still closed Inlet my fingers lightly run over the wound.
I could feel two small puncture holes, but that was it. It was smooth, and free from scabs or blood. It was healing.
It seemed almost as if I'd simply been bitten by a snake or large spider.

"Seems to have healed pretty well" Duke's voice spoke from close by, as my eyes shot up, my body jolting to my elbows.

I took a deep breath, "Don't... Don't scare me like that" I breathed, as I noticed Duke was sitting on the very edge of the sofa I was lying on, automatically becoming aware of just how close he was to me.

"Sorry" He smiled weakly as he looked from my face to my neck, where my fingers re-traced

"Here" Duke offered holding his long ivory fingers out for the bandage that one of my hands still grasped. I handed it to him, careful not to touch his skin. He lifted himself up and disappeared for a minute before quickly returning to where he had sat.

"Thanks" I smiled, letting my hand fall back to my side. I stretched my neck out testing just how healed I was. It didn't hurt.

"Look... I'm sorry you got dragged into all of this Rosie" He looked anywhere but my eyes.

I assumed he feared exactly what always happened, the steel vice like lock that our eyes seemed to create.

I sighed, and rolled my eyes, "Not like it's your fault"

"I should have watched Ryde more carefully. I knew he wasn't stable. It was only a matter of time..." He seemed disappointed in himself

"Don't worry about it. Honestly. It's too late for all that now anyway" I reassured him

He smiled in return, his eyes searching my face from where he sat.

"I'm still trying to figure out why you aren't as frightened as you should be"

If only he knew how my mind thought.

"I am scared. But, I mean, what happens, happens right? If I die, I die. To be honest, I don't have a whole lot to lose, so I guess that's why I don't seem to be as fraidy-cat as any other normal person"

"You don't value your life because of what you don't have?" He asked, narrowing his eyes

"It's not what I don't have. It's what I've lost. I just... I always think..." I trailed off, looking down at my hands.
I shouldn't have said what I thought. It was silly, but it was what I looked forward to about death.

"Go on" He urged, this time meeting my gaze when I looked up.

"If I die, I get to see my dad again" I confessed smiling weakly at the thought.

I missed my dad like crazy. He was everything to me. When I'd found out he had passed away, mt world crumbles.
We were inseparable, and at the fragile age of ten I couldn't think of anything else worse that could possibly happen to me. Even this didn't seem to compare.

Duke just nodded, and smiled at me in return.

"I'd like to see my mother again. But reality is I probably never will. Not while I'm like this" He gestured towards himself before locking with my gaze

"If you took my life, and took my blood, I can see my dad, and you can see your mother" I half joked, realizing just what I'd said.
It was twisted.

His face was serious, not at all amused.

"I'll see her one day. And when I do, it'll have nothing to do with you and your blood" He mumbled as he watched me carefully.