Between Heaven and Earth (Original Story)

Start from the beginning

"I'm not gonna hurt you." I hold my hand out and he visibly relaxes. He grabs my hand and comes closer to me, burying his face into my chest.

"What's your name?" I say laughing slightly. He starts to speak but I do not hear a word he says. There is a red haired girl behind him with a club preparing to swing down on him. Not a chance Ezekiel! Kill that bitch. Silver yells within my mind. I push the young boy behind me and stab the girl directly in the heart. She drops when I pull my sword out and I wrap one arm around the young boy.

"I'm Ezekiel by the way. You were saying?" His eyes light up with a mixture of horror and gratitude.

"My name is Erik." His voice makes him sound even younger. I pull him closer.

"I'll keep you safe." We start to run away. You shouldn't be in this area. Get the hell out, take the boy and RUN. Silver yells. I sigh and start to run away. I run blindly into this battle. As I'm running, the young boy clutching my hand as if his life depended on it, I hit a large surface. A large orange haired boy—if I can even call him a boy—grins down at me.

"You should've stayed in your territory, Gray. Clearly you have a death wish." He slams me in the head with a metal pipe. Everything starts to become hazy. I fall to the ground, preparing for a final blow. It never comes. I look up to see the boy on the ground, shaking and convulsing. His mouth is spewing blood. A girl with purple hair is standing over him holding his metal pipe. She passes it to me.

"It's a better weapon. Use it, 'cause he sure won't be needing it." She disappears. Like without moving she just disappears. I pick up the pipe and attempt to stand, only to drop straight to the blood covered ground. I close my eyes and refuse to open them. Erik picks me up and starts to talk in my ears.

"Let's get you out of here." We start to walk but I am pulled away from Erik. My feet no longer touch the ground and I open my eyes. I see my older brother Axel. His red hair spiked, his blue eyes shining brightly.

"Hello Ezekiel. I did hope I could kill you." He knees me in the stomach and lets me fall. I land hard on my stomach and feel vomit rise in my chest. I cough and choke, blood and stomach acid falling from between my lips. Axe lets out a mighty laugh.

"Still just as weak as you were as a child. I almost feel bad for taking your life. How should I—" He falls to the ground, a bloody wound in the back of his head and Erik standing above him with the pipe. Tear fall down my face, blurring my already fuzzy vision. My older brother, the boy who was meant to protect me, was lying practically dead before my eyes. Erik picks me up to my feet.

"We have to go Ezekiel. We have to get you to help." I let him lead me towards the medical centers. Every step Erik and I take is as if we have lead weights attached to our feet. I can barely support my own weight. I manage to hit the ground again, despite Erik's attempts to keep me standing. Get up E. Listen to me, please. We have to live... we can't have my... never mind.

"What are you talking about, S?" Erik looks at me with a look of confusion.

"Who are you talking to?" He says. As I attempt to respond, more blood leaks from my pale lips.

"Please move Ezekiel, I can't lose you too." His eyes fill with tears. E... Please. I need you to get up. Don't die on me please. Getting up is no longer an option. Standing won't work, so I am on my hands and knee. Coughing and choking on my own blood as I realise that I won't survive the night.

"Leave me Erik. I am just weighing you down." I cough again and more blood lands on the ground. "Just live for me." I allow my head and chest to fall to the ground. Why should I try anymore when death is near? Erik kneels beside me. He mumbles many curse words.