Chapter Four

Chapter IV: Connor Finlow

I had just been wandering aimlessly around the neighborhood after Amethyst had dashed out of the door. I heard Emerald's screams, and immediately came running. It's funny how sometimes you'll do anything for someone, but they don't even notice.

"Are you okay?!?" I asked, shocked to see Emerald on the floor in a growing pool of blood, "Oh. My. Gosh. Did you call the ambulance?" I turned my attention to Amethyst. She looked puzzled.

"Ambulance? Why? Oh my gosh! Emerald, what happened?" I took a deep breath. She briefly back at me before helping her sister again. "We don't even have a phone," she said calmly. I immediately brought out my phone and made the call.

We weren't allowed to ride with Emerald to the hospital. We both sat in the front seat of my car, staring at the stars through opposite windows. I heard a sigh and turned to see Amethyst with her head in her hands, and watched to see a glimmering tear slide slowly down her face. She sniffed.

"I just wish I could help her," she shuddered. I rested my hand on her shoulder.

"You have," I said gently, afraid bring her down.

"No. She can't see. And I can. I feel guilty," she confessed. An idea started to form in my brain.

"What if we can help her?" I asked, lifting my head away from the chilled window. It was mid September, so we would have to miss school if we did follow through. Amethyst sniffed again.

"What do you mean?" She asked me, our eyes locking. She glared at me, just to make sure I wasn't messing around. I felt my heart shatter yet again. Even shards can be broken. To her, I was just the guy who managed to show up before her sister bled to death. Nothing special.

"When I moved away from here, I moved to Chicago. I think I saw an eye doctor there that was willing to do eye transplants-" I was cut off by Amethyst, who was bouncing in her seat with anticipation.

"So you mean she- You mean that she could actually see again?"

"Yes. But it's in Chicago, and that's like- what, a fourteen hour drive? We would have to leave at the latest at eight o'clock in the morning. Even then, we probably wouldn't even get there until after ten," Amethyst just nodded.

"So when do we leave?"

***

We finally found the courage to go see Emerald in her hospital bed. It seemed to hurt Amethyst at the thought of her sister in pain, so we left her time to recover. We walked in silence up to Emerald's room. She was asleep when we got there, so Amethyst just sat in a chair in the corner of the room and turned it to face the window. She yanked open the curtains, and then nestled down into the chair.

"Look at the stars," she whispered.

"What do you see?" I asked, leaning over so I could look at the stars, too. We were surrounded by small towns, so the lights weren't that bright. The stars were like pin pricks in fabric, dotting the entire world.

"I see... Look, there's the Big Dipper, and there's Orion the Hunter, and..." her voice trailed off, "It's so pretty,"

"I see hope," I said quietly, looking down at her at the same time she looked up at me.

"What?" she asked, forgetting.

"Chicago....?" Amethyst just shook her head. I grabbed the nearest piece of paper and a pen and scribbled what we were going to do onto the paper.

"Okay here. This is what has to happen to let your sister see again. When you forget, just read this." She broke into a smile and stuffed it into her pocket. Emerald stirred. We both turned over to watch as her shining green eyes fluttered open, unaware that they would soon be able see again.

It was the morning that we were supposed to leave for Chicago, and Amethyst was being stubborn.

"No! No, I can't leave Emerald! I won't!" She gestured to her poor bandaged sister, laying asleep in her bed. "What...... What if...... What if she doesn't make it?" She asked, staring at her feet and digging her toe into the carpet.

I sighed and walked over. I would be lying if I said that thought hadn't crossed my mind, too.

"She isn't going to die. She has to see the sunlight again," I smiled, looking up. "I won't let her," I assure her. Amethyst smiles brightly and bounces up.

"Okay, I believe you. But will Emerald come?" She asks, tilting her head slightly to the side, looking bewildered. I nodded. "Okay then," she gave her head a firm nod. She gave her unnaturally pale sister a lingering glance, tightening her grip on Emerald's hand. "We leave tomorrow."

That night, I slept restlessly; tossing and turning and moaning. To make things worse, I developed a terrible sense of foreboding about the trip, and just because of a measly dream.

***

"I've been waiting for you, Connor Finlow," a voice growled. I cringed at the sound. It was like nails on a chalkboard, magnified by about a thousand times. I looked around, searching for the source of the voice. There was nothing there, just darkness. There was one spot of light, and it was shined directly on me, almost like a spotlight. I glanced at the ground. It looked to be nothing but dirt, but my feet seemed to be sinking. The smell of rotting flesh filled my nose.

"Who are you?" I demanded, hoping I sounded a lot more sure of myself then I felt.

"Who am I?" The creature gave a chuckle. "Well, Connor, you don't remember me? How terribly disappointed I am. I'll give you a hint. I was the one that warned you about Amethyst Reece- sweet girl by the way- forgetting you, I warned you before you moved, I warned you when your father died. I have been lingering in every nightmare you've ever had. I come with another warning-"

I cut him off. "I don't want to hear it. Look, I have to help Amethy-"

"Oh but that is why I am here, Connor. Listen to me carefully-

To save one you must lose another,

To free your heart, one must depart.

Beware the Ice,

Beware the Snow,

For the one you love most,

Will become but a ghost.

But you,

Will emerge."

I felt my face lose its color and my body went numb. "Maybe we shouldn't go," I thought, "What if- No." This is nothing but a dream. Amethyst. My mind wandered, searching for a way to deny itself. We will find a way.

***

I woke up with a jolt. I looked around furiously, unsure of where I was. It took me a minute for my eyes to adjust. We were still in Emerald's hospital room, and I noticed that Amethyst, too, had fallen asleep. Her hair had been draped across her face, and parts of it glimmered in the moonlight. Every time she took a breath, a little strand of hair would rise and then fall. I took a deep shuddering breath, recalling what that...thing...had said. I didn't want to believe it, for it was nothing but a nightmare, but it was right about everything else. Amethyst stirred, and I realized she wasn't asleep, but watching the stars. I sat down quietly, careful not to let her know I was awake. The stars. I looked from Amethyst to Emerald and back again. I silently vowed to keep them both safe. I would never forgive myself if I didn't.