Prologue

I was in 6th grade at the time. Jake promised he would be there for me anytime anywhere...but he wasn't.

* flashback *

I am skipping home, humming a tune I'd heard on the radio. As a carefree little girl, I never would have guessed what was awaiting me for when I got home. I walked up to my  door step, walked in and the sight was shocking, horrifying, confusing, and so much more. It is a sight a girl my age should never have to see. I see  it before I  hear it.

My mom is standing in the living room, looking at a piece of paper. I walk closer and closer to her, and it's not until I'm about 2 feet from her when I see the gun. I didn't have time to scream. The noise rattled my bones, made my ears ring, and tore my heart in two once I realized what had happened.

My mother fell limp on the ground in front of me, blood pooled around her head. I kneel down and gently took hear head and held it in my lap not caring that blood got on my clothes. I comb my fingers through her blood soaked hair as salty, warm, wet tears fell my eyes and onto her now lifeless face. The hole the bullet made in her face was burned into my mind and I cried harder. I took out my phone and I called 911, and then I called Jake.

Ring...

Ring...

Ring...

'Hey it's Jake. I'm not at the phone right now or I'm just doing something more important than answering this right now. Leave a message.'

But I didn't leave a message knowing he never checked his voicemail. My tears fell faster as my heart shattered. It's like I can feel every piece fall into the depths inside of me and rip my insides apart. He broke his promise in one of my biggest times of need...if he couldn't be here for me then why should I be there for him?

And the flashback was over. Little did I know that was only the start of my bad fortune for I never imagined my dad becoming a drunk, let alone abusive.

That is how this all started.