All of my doubt

Suddenly goes away somehow

One step closer

I have died every day

Waiting for you

Darlin' don't be afraid

I have loved you for a

Thousand years

I'll love you for a

Thousand more

I sang like my life depended on it. Once I started, I couldn't stop. Ryan stayed quiet as he promised, listening to me bellow a song I hadn't heard in almost a year. Tristan loved that song. He always said he'd love me for a thousand years. I knew it was impossible, but I didn't expect him to stop so soon. I stopped playing after the chorus, taking a deep breath. I had played without breaking down. It had actually been therapeutic.

Ryan shook his head in disbelief. "Rain, that was amazing! Your voice is amazing. I didn't even know you could sing".

I just smiled.

"Is there anything you can't do?" he asked.

Yeah, remember things.

"I'm pretty sure there is", I said.

"You could win Idols. Why are you hiding this talent? That was anything but terrible!" he said.

"I'm not that great", I said quietly.

"Obviously we have different definitions of great", he said.

I stayed quiet.

Ryan surprised me by taking my hands in his.

"You know what I think? I think you are perfect. And that has nothing to do with your talents. You are an amazing person Rain. The way you talk about the fundraising is amazing", he said. He looked sad. "I don't deserve you".

If there ever was a time I felt utterly guilty, it was that time. Ryan said I was perfect, and I was anything but. I was a...

I couldn't stop the tears that welled up in my eyes. Ryan really didn't deserve someone like me. He deserved better.

"Rain, is it something I..." he said concerned, but was interrupted by my phone ringing.

I was glad for the interruption. Little did I know the caller wouldn't make me feel any better.

I smiled to Ryan as I answered my phone quickly, not even bothering to check who the caller was. I stood up as I did.

"Hello?"

"Hello Rain, it's Sophie", the person at the other end of the line said.

I instantly recognized the voice. It was Sophie Hoffman, Tristan Hoffman's mom.

"Uh, hello", I said slowly.

"I am sorry to bother you so late", she said. She seemed hesitant. "The family has decided that we want to do something on...uh...the anniversary. Nothing big, just a little gathering at the...uh...cemetery to show him we still remember him. I was wondering if you'd like to come".

I stayed quiet, unable to utter words.

"You don't have to come, I'm sure he will understand. Just know that the door is open should you decide to come. We start at 9 on the day", she said.

I nodded as if she could see me.

"Rain, we haven't seen you in a while. I want you to know that you are still like a son to us. You made Tristan happy. You two were inseparable..." she said.