N.B 16

"Where have you been?"

I should have known that if Julie didn't find me at home when she got back from school, she would be worried sick. Julie was naturally protective, but ever since the accident, she wanted to know where I was at all times. My parents did the same, even though they went to great lengths to hide it. The therapist said it was normal. They had attended a few sessions with me. She'd said the human instinct after an accident was to not let it happen again. Even though some things were unreasonable, it made sense to employ them. My family tried to protect me using all subtle ways possible. The therapist had told them not to put me in a cocoon, and of course that just made my family find ways of protecting me that I wouldn't even recognize.

"Uh, I gave Ryan a lift to work", I said walking into the house.

Julie followed, closing the door behind her.

"He works?" she asked.

"Yeah, at his uncle's hardware store in town", I said putting my sidebag on the couch.

I went to the kitchen and Julie followed suit.

"I really don't understand how you could be so...nice to this guy", she said.

I opened the fridge and took out a bottle of orange juice. I located a glass and rinsed it before pouring some juice in it.

I turned to Julie. "Are you waiting for something?"

"Yes! I want to know why you have forgiven him so easily", she said.

I shrugged. "He apologized".

"And you forgave him just like that?"

"What more does he need? He made a mistake and he apologized", I said.

"You like him", Julie said slowly. "Rainier, you like him!"

I shrugged again. "He's ok", I said.

She shook her head. "You know that's not what I mean. The last time I took that book you stayed mad at me for a week. Ryan apologized once and you forgave him!"

"Okay, maybe I like him a bit. He's nice to hang around", I said.

"There's something you aren't telling me", she said simply, looking me straight in the eye.

I forgot that given the chance, my sister could read me like a book. I needn't say much for her to know something was wrong, and I needn't say much when I was happy either.

"We kissed", I blurted. Those violets eyes could make you do something against your will.

I watched as she slowly absorbed what I was saying. Her face sort of...well, expanded. Her eyes enlarged, and she had the biggest smile I'd ever seen, coupled with surprise.

"Oh my gosh! Rain, why didn't you tell me? When did this happen?" she asked loudly in quick succession, as if I wasn't in the room with her.

I took a sip of my juice. "Stop shouting, I'm right here".

"Then tell me!" she ordered.

"We kissed at the party. Uh...I read something wrong, and we fought. He was mad at me and that's why he agreed to take the book", I said.

"Read something wrong? What?" she asked.

I dreaded this part. I was still embarrassed by the whole thing.

"I...uh...I accused him of trying to...uh...rape me", I said closing my eyes tightly in embarrassment.

"And he wasn't?" Julie asked, concern in her voice. I couldn't see her reaction because my eyes were still closed.