It was a short kiss. Ryan noticed something that he found interesting.

"You have a guitar? Do you play?"

My breath got caught in my throat. I avoided that guitar as much as I could, but I didn't possess the energy to take it back to the garage.

I wanted to say I didn't play but he would want to know why I had it. Did people decorate their room with guitars?

I nodded slowly. I couldn't quite look at him when I did but he didn't seem bothered.

"Was it here the last time I was here?" he asked.

"Yeah. You probably didn't see it because the lights were..." I started but he said something.

"I didn't see it because I was focusing on how sexy your butt is", he said grinning.

I blushed.

"Play something", he blurted out of the blue. Okay, maybe it was inevitable.

I shook my head slowly.

"Come on. I won't judge", he encouraged.

"Ryan I would rather..." I said but he'd already stood up to get the guitar for me.

He handed it to me with pleading eyes. I took it slowly. I hadn't played since the previous year. I couldn't do it.

"Ryan I can't", I said.

"Rain, you can. Pretend I'm not here", he said. Why couldn't he just realize I couldn't?

"I am terrible", I said desperately.

"Pretty please", he said ignoring my words.

I felt my abdominal muscles tighten as my hands lightly stroked the strings. I positioned the guitar properly. I brushed the black wood slowly while my mind fought to confine me to the present.

Guitar playing guys are sexy

My hand stopped moving. "I can't do this", I said quietly.

"You didn't strike me as a shy guy. Just pretend I'm not here. I'll be very quiet", Ryan was persistent. To him it was just me being shy, but it was more than that.

"I don't know what to play", I said.

He shrugged, putting his hands on my shoulders and massaging slightly. "Play any song you like", he said.

I nodded slowly. My hands once again went over the strings.

Did I ever tell you? It's when I hear you play and sing that I become more alive. Don't ever stop playing. Don't ever stop singing Rain. Your voice could awaken many more souls.

Tristan loved it when I played and sang. He made the playlist and I learned the songs. He guided me through many and loved the final product. We spent time practicing songs. I tried to teach him how to play, but I wasn't a great teacher. There was only one song he could play. It didn't really matter to him because he said he loved it when I played and sang. He was absolutely crazy in love with my voice, the same voice that had probably killed...

I took a deep breath, wondering if I could still remember the chords. I started playing. Ryan wanted me to just play, but I did more than that. My voice came out pained and I wondered if he noticed it wasn't intentional

Heart beats fast

Colors and promises

How to be brave

How can I love you when I'm afraid

To fall

But watching you stand alone