Chapter 4: Frye (Part II)

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Come on, Frye." She whines. "We've practiced over and over. When are we going to do this for real?"

I look to Edmun. He shrugs, a half-grin pulling at his face. "I don't know what to tell you, mate. I think she's got it."

"Fine." I say, slowly. "You know, I'm not much a fan of being the responsible one. It doesn't seem to fit quite right."

"It's all right, you're learning." Kay says, cheerfully. Then, rubbing her hands together. "So, are we going to do this, right now?"

"I guess so." I cast a furtive glance at Edmun. "You'll keep lookout for her?"

"Won't let her out of my sight." Edmun promises as Kay rolls her eyes exaggeratedly.

"Can we just go, already?" With her arms crossed and tapping her foot impatiently, she looks like a miniature version of Ma.

"Yes, all right." I take a step towards the wall. "Remember, slow and careful. Don't rush."

"I know, I remember."

"Good luck." I give her my sternest look before jumping up and grabbing hold of a protruding brick. Edmun and Kay stroll back out into the marketplace while I pick my way up to the roof, my eyes plotting out my path as I pull myself higher and higher.

My heart thuds heavily in my chest while I arrange myself behind the roof's ledge. The top of Edmun and Kay's heads come into view, pressing together for a moment before they go their separate ways. Edmun strolls casually in one direction while Kay begins to circle the crowd, searching for a target.

She takes her time, passing by several richly-dressed Intacts before settling on an older, overweight woman. I watch as she tails the woman from stall to stall, drawing close and backing off while she guages where the woman's purse is kept. I dart my eyes around the crowd surrounding her but no one seems to have taken any notice of the raggedy Fragment girl in their midst.

Finally, when I think that I will pass out from holding my breath, Kay sidles up behind the woman, jostling her and holding up her hands apologetically. The Intact woman sneers as Kay darts away and I can feel a smile tugging at my cheeks. She's done it.

I've created the perfect thief.

Kay is all smiles when we congregate back in the alley, holding up an embroidered purse triumphantly before shaking its contents into my outstretched hand. I count out the gold coins, my eyes widening as I sort through them. I can't believe it, in just a few minutes we have managed to earn more than Dad does after an entire day's work at the quarry.

Well, perhaps the word 'earn' isn't quite accurate.

Kay beams up at me as I stuff the stolen money into my pocket and toss the empty purse into the shadows. "Well?"

"You did good, kiddo." I pull her to my side, giving her a tight squeeze. "I'm impressed."

"I told you I could do it." Her voice is muffled and she shoves me back, craning her neck to look up at me. "Can we go again?"

I laugh, shaking my head as Edmun joins us in the alley. "No way. We need to distance ourselves from the scene for a little while." I drum my fingers against my chin, trying with some effort to adopt a stern expression. "In fact, I think we should make that one of our rules."

"I shall add it to the list." Edmun mimes scribbling on a piece of paper. "Rule number one, always leave the scene of a crime immediately after pilfering."

"Good, good." I nod approvingly. "I would like to add to that. Take this down."

Kay boosts herself into a sitting position on top of a crate while Edmun pretends to wet the end of his invisible pen, standing poised while I dictate.