Vegetable Stories

10 Years Ago

Ruby, aged 7 years old, sat at the kitchen table, staring at what she saw on the counter. There were two vegetables staring back at her with big round eyes, and all three of them just sat there staring for a good couple of minutes before the tomato spoke up.

"Hi there, I'm Bob the Tomato!" The tomato said, nudging the green vegetable beside him.

"And I'm Larry the Cucumber!" The cucumber said, turning back to Ruby. "What's your name?"

"I-I'm Ruby..." Ruby said, feeling uneasy about the situation at hand. She scooted back in her chair a bit before breaking the gaze to look at the wall, seeing that the clock had eyes as well.

"What are you doing just sitting there? Why, you could be out in the gorgeous spring air!" The clock said, hopping off of the wall, suddenly sprouting long black legs.

"Stay back!" Ruby yelled, scooting her chair farther back so it was right up against a rug on the floor.

"Why is there a need for delay? We must go and cherish the spring day!" The clock said, walking towards the table. Ruby tried scooting the chair further back, but instead catching it on the rug, causing her to topple onto the ground behind her.

"You can't be hurt, that much is true, because God is watching over you!" Larry said, hopping off of the counter, Bob close behind. Soon, every vegetable in the room had sprouted eyes and was walking towards the young girl in the corner of the room.

"Stay away from me!" Ruby screamed, backing herself further against the wall. She looked immediately to where the phone was hanging on the wall, but was quickly distracted by the moving toaster beside it.

"I'm the Brave Little Toaster! Nice to meet you!" The toaster said, unplugging itself and lurching towards her. "What's your name?"

"Stay away from me!" Ruby screeched yet again, kicking away a sprout of broccoli that had gotten too near for her liking.

"Why? We only want to be your friends!" Bob said, hopping forwards another few feet. "Don't be scared, we're here to help you!"

"Yang! Uncle Qrow! Where are you?" Ruby yelled, whimpering as she got no response from the empty house.

"Why would you need them here? We're your friends right?" The toaster said, taking another step closer.

"There's a time and a place for mucking around Ruby!" The clock said, pointing an accusing finger at the girl, now visibly shaking with tears dripping down her face.

"Get away from me!" Ruby screamed again, shutting her eyes, hoping it was all a dream.