Lost Control (Newtmas #16)

Start from the beginning

The blonde took a good look at him clearly, not in the way he had a few hours before. Before his eyes hadn't been clear, but now as they were, he could really see the detail of every part of the strangers body. Whoever he was, was shorter than Newt, but still tall enough to dominate with his muscular figure. His eyes were that of a confused dark brown, his lips a perfect pout, and his hair tousled in all directions. The blonde had a hard time deciding if his appearance was more attractive, or his scent.

"I'm Thomas." Thomas introduced, sitting down on the grass before Newt as he waited for the blonde to give his own name.

"Name's Newt." He replied simply.

"You smell really sweet." Newt heard, and he gaped as he processed the words. He knew that he had a scent that Thomas could pick up on, but for him to tell Newt about it was not something he'd seen happening.

"Sweet how?" The blonde quipped, genuinely wondering as he'd never been able to properly ask someone this before, without getting a human answer.

"Like cherries." Thomas had a smile dancing on his lips as he whispered the two words, moving closer to Newt in the process.

"And I'm also trying incredibly hard to resist you." He spoke, and Newt felt himself shiver, despite his body being warm in temperature. Thomas got up, walking away soundlessly as the blonde stayed behind, his eyes staring at the others figure before he was completely gone from his view.

________________________________________________________________________________

They hadn't really had another conversation after the bonfire, granted that it was only three days before the current one. But the tension between them was so strong that it was almost pitiful, and Newt often found himself whining if Thomas came too close, his need growing for the shorter every day.

And then Thomas was gone, swiped away from existence as if he'd never stepped foot into the Glade as the new Greenie. His scent lingered, but it was fading fast as the blonde could only stand in shock. Thomas had just run into the Maze as it closed, and Newt had been too slow to reach for him and grab him back.

He felt a strong sense of disappointment when he hadn't been able to grab his alpha, even though Thomas technically never was his. But he'd felt something tingle within him at every thought of the younger boy, and he needed him, just his presence was enough. An intimate moment was not needed for them to create an invisible bond between alpha and omega, and though barely any words had been spoken between them, it had been enough.

But now Newt was once again alone, the walls having shut with an echo throughout the Glade as Thomas was on the other side with Minho and Alby. He leaned against the wall, trying to sort out his jumbled thoughts as the rest of the Gladers started to disperse, coming to terms with the loss of three others. But Newt wasn't about to accept it or come to terms with it. He didn't want Thomas to be lost to the Maze, especially so early on.

He found himself sulking all night, hating himself for not being able to reach Thomas those final seconds, even if he'd attempted to. Newt had failed him, but Thomas was probably dead now and wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway.

The blonde had fallen asleep a few hours after sitting against one of the four walls, trying to figure out how he would go on without the one his wolf had grown to rely on these past three days. Sleep didn't really take him by surprise, but when he woke up the next morning, he was shocked that he'd let himself doze off.

The doors had not opened yet, but he knew that they would soon, and he turned and waited in anticipation. Chuck had joined him, along with a few other Gladers that wanted to look, just out of curiosity, not because they were expecting to see anything.