Chapter Sixteen: Runaway

Start from the beginning

"Tamaki! What was that?" Kyoya demanded.

Tamaki could barely hold back his panic now. "Akane's jumped right through the window, glass and all!"

"What?!"

Mori stood suddenly. "We're going."

Kyoya nodded, standing as well. Honey climbed up onto Mori's shoulders.

"Tamaki!" Kyoya barked into the phone. "Which way did Akane head?"

"She just jumped out the window and disappeared into the trees! I have no clue where she went after that!"

Kyoya snapped the phone shut. "Damn. What were you thinking, Akane?!"

"Let's go. If we hurry, we may be able to catch up to her." Mori said a quick good bye to Mrs. Hayashi, before racing out the door. 

"Why the hell would she go to Mount Kaikoma right now?" Kyoya wondered.

Mori overheard. "It's almost time for the annual Katonozuka gathering, not unlike a family reunion, except it's with the Katonozuka branches."

"Branches?"

"Katonozukas are different from the rest of us. The Katonozuka clan is divided into five branches, and each branch is divided into classes, or ranks. Each branch is almost like a whole new clan."

"What are the branches and ranks?"

"The branches are listed in numerical order, according to the amount of power they wield. Akane is the last remaining member of the first branch, and is ranked 'gold'. The highest class there is. Amongst the first branch, one family leads as the head of the Katonozukas. Akane is part of that family."

"Each branch also has a specialty." Honey added. "First branch specializes in training bodyguards to protect others. That's basically the point of the first branch, and what they believe in: protecting others. Second branch specializes in assassins, third is offensive fighting, fourth is defensive fighting, and fifth is medical care."

"It sounds like the Katonozukas each served a special purpose." Kyoya remarked.

"That's correct." Mori nodded. "And another thing: as far as the Katonozuka killings, all have been members of the first branch. So the killer must be planning something having to do with the head of the Katonozukas."

"That's right, Takashi." Honey chirped, bobbing his head up and down. "So if the bad guy is gonna attack, Aka-chan is next."

"We know that." said Kyoya. "But what would Waru, or his mafia ancestors, want to do with that? If wealth was really all they were after, wouldn't it have been easier to just wipe out every last Katonozuka? Why focus on the first branch?"

None of them knew the answer, though they all pondered over it as the car sped down the highway, on its way to Ouran Academy.

"Whoa---" Honey breathed.

Kyoya had to agree. The music room was a mess. Pillows and couch cushions were strewn all over. Chairs were overturned, vases were on their sides and spilling out water and flowers. And one of the windows was shattered, littering the floor with sharp shards of glass.

Tamaki raced up in a panic and jumped up and down in front of Kyoya. "Kyoya! What'll we do? Akane's run away! What if she gets run over by a car?"

"That," Kyoya answered, pushing Tamaki away from him, "should be the least of your worries."