Chapter 9: A Declaration

Sam never thought she would fall in love. For some strange reason she knew that they would be together for the rest of their lives.

"Love?" a sleepy Vulbogiô said rubbing his eye.

"I'm here," she said with a smile on her lips. Her lover returned the grin, wrapping his arm around her and pulling her close.

"Did I hurt you?" he said, concern coating his voice.

Sam's heart melted, "No. You were careful and I was never in pain."

Vulbogiô grinned and placed soft kisses on her neck, "I love you," he said, a genuine spark of love dancing in his eyes.

"And I love you," she murmured, placing a soft kiss on his cheek before turning to check the time.

9:05

"My goodness! I'm late for work!" she cried jumping out of bed and quickly running to the bathroom to shower.

"Sam-," Vulbogiô began to say before Sam cut him off.

"Not now! I must get ready!" she said rushing quickly to take a shower.

Once she had finished, the smell of pancakes and bacon filled the air. Even better was a shirtless Vulbogiô with his sweatpants hanging dangerously low on his hips.

"Smells good," she spoke after taking a big whiff.

"I hope so, I didn't watch that elderly woman cook for nothing," Vulbogiô said with a deep chuckle.

Sam cut into her pancake before taking it into her lips.

"Oh god this tastes so good!" Sam said, the burst of flavors filling her mouth.

Vulbogiô grinned, but inside he was shaking with nervousness. Inside his pocket was his mother's ring that she had somehow slipped into his sack. A black precious metal laid with a single glittering white diamond. He had seen how it was a custom that a man proposes matrimony to his lifelong mate. And today he wanted to propose to Sam.

"Sam?" he spoke.

"Yes?" Sam said with a smile that would light up a thousand dark skies.

Vulbogiô took in a deep breath, "I know we've known each other for only a few months and I know this may be a bit out of the norm but," his fingers clenched the ring as he pulled it out, "Will you-"

He was interrupted when a knock came on the door.

"Who might it be?" Sam asked, making her way to the door.
Vulbogiô held his breath.

Could it be the man who sent her flowers?

He clutched the spoon in his hand, watching her.

"Chris? What are you doing here?"
*****

"Chris? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in bed with two sluts like the way I found you last time? " Sam asked, her hand tightly gripping the door knob. Her ex boyfriend stood, leaning against the door frame with his elbow.

"I came for you Sam. I came to beg forgiveness. Did you not read the note that I sent with the roses?"

Oh the envelope that Vulbogiô tore, she thought.

"I'm afraid I haven't had the chance to read it," she gruffly said.

"Well then," Chris said as he got onto one knee.

Oh no, what is he doing?

"Samantha Riley, we've known each other since high school. Will you do me the honor," he pulled out a small velvet box, "To be-" suddenly he was interrupted when the door suddenly swung open and Vulbogiô's tall form filled the door.

"Who is this?" Vulbogiô said, pressing his bare chest against her back.

Chris suddenly got on his two feet, his face suddenly burning with rage.

She swallowed, "Um this is Chris, my ex boyfriend."

"And who is he?" Chris stiffly said.

Sam sighed, strangely she found this whole situation very amusing. The fact the her ex boyfriend was now meeting a man from a foreign planet.

"This is Vulbogiô," she with a grin, intertwining her hand with his, "He's my boyfriend."

"You fucking slut," Chris growled.

She felt a dangerous aura come from Vulbogiô, his muscles stiffening.

"What did you call her?" Vulbogiô said quietly yet filled with threat.

"A slut you douche! She leaves me and goes around sleeping with another guy," Chris yelled, spit flying.

Sam felt a sudden pull and soon she was looking at Vulbogiô's toned back.

"I will not allow you to call her in such manner you dimwitted human," Vulbogiô spoke in a low growl.

Chris burst into laughter, "And what will you do? Fight me?"

Sam quickly wrapped her arms around Vulbogiô's arm, "Don't listen to him, he's only angry that I'm with you and not him. Don't let this get out of control."

Vulbogiô closed his eyes before taking a deep breath, "You're right," he murmured before placing a gentle kiss on her lips. However he was pulled away from her by Chris who was suddenly punching him furiously.

"Chris no! Stop this!" Sam cried, hovering between the two. Vulbogiô held his arms above his face, blocking Chris's blows.

The commotion had some of the neighbors looking out from their windows or doors but none of them did anything.

"You son of a bitch!" Chris growled as he continued to land blows, "Sam is my girl!"

Vulbogiô said nothing however he somehow flipped Chris onto his back, pinning his arms above him, "She doesn't belong to you, you insolent child. You let her go by whoring around with other women. You. Broke. Her. Heart," he spoke in a deathly calm voice before landing a single blow to Chris's jaw. Chris crumpled form landed on the concrete, a purple bruise forming along his jaw. However Sam wasn't concerned with Chris but with Vulbogiô. He looked strangely pale, clutching his side.

"Vulbogiô?" Sam said making her way to him, "Are you okay?"

Vulbogiô nodded, a grim look on his features, "Sam?" he spoke his fingers reaching out to caress her cheek, "Do you love me?"

"Of course!" Sam declared, reaching out to touch his chiseled features while her other hand slid down his chest. However something warm and wet made contact with her fingers. She looked down, a scream coming from her throat.