4. -Loud and Quiet Houses-

Logan

      As soon as I heard the door slam closed from downstairs, I sprinted towards my own door and locked it. Before soon the yelling started and I couldn't bear it. I reached for my abandoned earplugs and connected them to my phone, the frantic music now playing in my ears.
      I sighed and turned up the volume, drowning out the sound of screaming. My back lay perfectly straight against my door and my knees were pulled up, as I hugged both legs. My rocking back and forth had stopped a few years ago when I had discovered music was much more effective to help me get distracted.
     As loud knocks were thrown upon my door, my back thumped. My body lurched forward. I pulled out one of my earplugs,hands shaking. I stood up slowly, gulping. Before I could even reach for the doorknob, the door opened . Kaytlyn closed the door behind her in a delicate manner, her long fingers wrapping around the knob in an elegant way. She turned to me before giving me a hug, all whilst fixing a strand of hair back into place. I looked down, my eyes focusing on her sandals

      "This is the way you greet your sister?" She smiled playfully and I tried to grin back. Kaytlyn put her arms protectively around me and smiled again. "Hey Gi it's gonna be okay. Mom will leave soon, I promise. I told her I was staying with you and dad." My smile grew at the childhood nickname that descended from Logi but I shook my head at her words.

     "Kayt this is impossible. You're  impossible. You can't do this to yourself. You can't do this to me. To mom. Just because she won't take you shopping or whatever doesn't mean you get to come live with us. Dad's wife will flip out. You just can't." Kaytlyn shook her head and her nostrils flared.

     She stared at me and glared, her eyes turned into dragon slits. "I do not give a shit if mom takes me shopping or not. Her problem is growing, okay? She won't go to her sessions and she skips work a lot. She starves herself and buys us no food. I'd rather live with dad's excuse of a wife then have to deal with mom. Logan, I just... I-i can't do it anymore." Her eyes began to stream a slow and steady flow of tears and I couldn't help but hug her. Living with dad was shitty enough, but I couldn't imagine what Kaytlyn must be going through. We could still hear the yelling that was going on downstairs, and we both froze at the sound of an engine turning off outside. 
      "Looks like Megan's here..."  Kaytlyn said her name as if it was poison. Click, clack, click, clack. Megan's heels stopped at the door, and a sudden quiet filled the house aside from the jangle of keys. Megan's surprised voice started the yelling again. There was too much chaos downstairs. Kayt held herself together like it hurt. I stared at her and shook my head. This thing I called family, wasn't even a decent excuse for one. I angrily wiped at the tears that forced themselves out of my eyes and sat on my bed, frustrated. I knew this was never going to work.

_________________________

Zoey 

"GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!" My dad pumped his fists in the air as Jeremy cheered in delight. I smiled and turned to look at mom in her happy place.  She smiled as she watched us from the kitchen that was filled with delicious smells.
     Soccer season was my favorite part of the year. Everyone was happy, including my dad. He, Jeremy and I would watch the game while mom made the best food in the planet. Tonight she was cooking pastel de choclo which literally means corn cake. It was the best thing ever. A "pie" made with vegetables, chicken, beef and of course corn. Our "corn cake" was accompanied by a delicious Chilean salad that mom made to perfection.
     I turned back to the game and Jeremy snuggled into dad's arms. Instinctively I flinched but dad only smiled and welcomed his son's embrace. I watched as he tickled my brother and laughed. This was why I loved soccer season. There was nothing better than being a "normal" family. Even if it was only for 90 minute games.

_________________________

Logan 

   I don't remember falling asleep but as soon as I woke up I started freaking out. It looked like it was about 10 pm because of the darkness that enveloped my room. Kaytlyn was nowhere to be seen and I had a pretty good idea as to where she was. I sighed and pulled at my hair while kicking at the trash that littered my room. The house was pretty quiet at this hour, unlike most days. There was no obnoxious music, or any annoying tv background noise. The only sound audible to me was my own breathing. I didn't know if I was alone or if there were other people in my house but I didn't want to be here. I didn't want to think about my family, or about Kaytlyn or even about this house. I needed an escape and I knew exactly where to find one.

_________________________

Zoey

   The game ended about an hour ago and surprisingly it's been the worst hour of my life. Jeremy sat on my lap wiping at tears that kept dropping from his eyes. I tried to comfort him but it was no use. The damage had already been done.
    We could still hear dad yelling and mom's mid-stifled sobs. Sometimes even perfect days can't have perfect nights.
     By now Jeremy started rocking again holding his head close to my chest. I could tell it hurt. I could tell by the way he looked at me. It was unbearable to look at. I gulped and held Jeremy closer. His eyes continued to drop useless tears. Honestly who even invented tears? They served no purpose. Jeremy hates crying and I do too and tears just make your cheeks all wet and don't help you in any way at all. 
    He kept rubbing at his eyes making the space around them puffier and even more crimson than they already were. I grabbed his hands in mine and smiled at him. Wrapping his arms around my neck I whispered into his ear once again "It'll be okay. You'll be fine. Don't worry I'm here, I won't let him lay a finger on you."

     Merely a few seconds after my words reached his ear I heard the sound of continued tapping on my window. Ha, this was starting to sound like one of those cheesy romance movies. Jeremy didn't want to let go of me, so obviously I couldn't get up and let my curiosity fade. The tapping continued for a few seconds before abruptly stopping. I sighed and petted Jeremy's head, waiting for him to fall asleep and for this nightmare to soon be over. Somehow I knew neither of those was gonna happen anytime soon.

_________________________

Logan

      I could've sworn this was her room. I was almost 100% positive. The lights were mostly all off in the small house, except for the front porch and the first window on the first floor. Hmm maybe it was a family night. I was about to go back home, more depressed than when I came here but I heard sudden yelling and something hitting the floor. Hard. In a moment of bravery I ran to the front of the house and swung the door open.

      Before I knew it I was punching Zoey's dad.

_________________________

Word Count: 1281

A/N I'm sorry I haven't updated in a long time! Agh I'm so sorry guys, but here ya have it. What do y'all think? Leave your thoughts in the comments and don't forget to vote :)