I'm Sorry

She lay on the floor, sprawled across the white rug. She stayed in the same position she had once been in eight years ago. A blood puddle formed around her arm as she stared at the ceiling. A small, sharp knife lay in her left hand. Tears streamed down onto her face as she remembered the horrible events of her parents' death.

~.~

"You never loved me, did you?" she screamed at him, her makeup running off and rolling down her face with her tears.

"Stop crying and let's talk about it," he begged, trying to hold her still.

The little girl watched from the corridor, peering through the door that was slightly open. Jasmine had gotten used to the fighting now.

"You know what? I am sick and tired of trying to calm you down! If you don't want me, go to someone else!" he said, his voice rising to a very loud level. She stopped moving, frozen as she processed the words one more time.

"You-" the woman stopped talking when she detected movement at the corridor. "Jasmine, I know you are there." Her voice was now soothing and calm, not the same as it was a minute before. The two adults walked to the corridor and opened the door all the way.

"Why are you awake Jasmine? Go back to bed," he said as he held the girl's hand and they walked up the staircase together.

She quickly put her free hand behind her back as they entered her bedroom. She crawled into her bed and her father pulled the cover over her body. She hugged him tightly around his neck as he said down on the bed next to her.

"I don't like it when you fight with Mommy and I know that you don't like it either. So let's make this easier for both of us," Jasmine said, whispering into her father's ear. She held something at the back of his head.

"Jasmine, what are you doing?" he said, trying to grab her small arm to see what she was holding. Her other arm lets go of her father's neck and she pulled his hand off her arm. The girl placed her finger on the small trigger and pushed both of his hands down onto his lap, constricting him from making any movements.

"Goodbye...Daddy." She pushed the trigger and the sound of a gunshot rang in the air. Her father's eyes closed, he lost balance and he fell from the bed onto the floor. The concerned expression that showed on his face had disappeared and was replaced by a relaxed face as if he was sleeping soundly.

Jasmine stared at her father for a second; she couldn't believe he was really gone. She pushed her thoughts aside, quickly placed the gun in his hand and crawled under the covers, waiting for the next part of the plan to take action. Not long after, she heard footsteps thumping against the floor, getting louder and louder with each step.

"Did you guys hear th-" Her mother's words stopped as she saw the corpse on the floor and her dear daughter laying in the bed, crying. She ran to the body, holding him as she cried. Blood poured out of the back of his head and onto the white rug that was in the middle of the bedroom. Tears ran down her mother's already puffy face, showing that she had been crying before. Her sobs became louder as the thought of her husband being dead slowly sunk in. She looked up to see that Jasmine was no longer in her bed sitting opposite her, but holding the gun in her hands, her arms stretched out and pointing towards her mother. She held it as if she had done it before. That's when her mother realised.

"It was you..." she said, her uncontrollable tears still streamed down her face as she looked up at her young daughter.

"Yes Mommy, I did it," Jasmine said, with a smirk forming on her face. Her mother looked in confusion, as she had never seen her daughter like this before. How had her daughter known that her father had a gun? As far as she knew, he had never used it in front of her.