"I love your pajamas by the way", he said chuckling a bit.

I rolled my eyes. I had a thing for Adventure time and my pajamas reflected it.

"You shouldn't talk so loud", I said. I went to lock the door, remembering that Julie walked in whenever she wanted.

"I'm sorry", he said. He seemed kind of cute when he said that.

"That's my bed", I said pointing to the bed. "You can sleep there, and I'll sleep on the floor. I'm gonna have to go with you to the bathroom, so you'll tell me when you want to go".

"I'll sleep on the floor", he said.

"No, I can't let you sleep on the floor", I said.

"How about we both sleep on the bed? It seems big enough", he said. "I promise I won't put my foot on your face. I'm not that flexible".

Never had I thought I'd sleep with Ryan on the same bed. I'd fantasized about it ashamedly. I had never thought it would happen. I didn't know if I could be that close to him without giving away my feelings. But I agreed.

I picked up another pillow from my closet and got back into bed as Ryan changed into his sleeping clothes. I resisted the temptation to look. Moments later he joined me on the bed. My bed wasn't big so we were very close. He was freezing. I felt it when his leg touched mine slightly. He'd been in the cold for too long.

"You are cold", I commented. I was lying on my back, something I wasn't accustomed to. I usually slept on my side.

"I know. I didn't realize how cold I was until now", he said. "I'm sorry. I'll try not to touch you".

"I could get an extra blanket", I offered.

"It's fine. I'll be warm soon", he said.

"Goodnight then", I said closing my eyes.

"Goodnight", he said switching off the light.

I couldn't sleep for a while. My mind kept coming back to how close he was to me. I could touch him if I wanted to.

"Ryan?" I said.

"Yeah?"

"Are you asleep?"

He chuckled. "What do you think?"

"Did I wake you up?"

"No"

There was some silence.

"What happened at school today?"

I heard him sigh. "The vice-principal found weed in my locker. It wasn't mine. I think Jesse and his friends got their revenge. Anyway, I was suspended".

My breath caught in my throat when he said he was suspended.

"You fought with your uncle?"

"Yeah, but that's not why I'm here. His wife was obviously not happy I am suspended. She said something that made me angry".

"What did she say?" I asked tentatively. He could clam up or he could open up.

He sighed and turned me to him.

"I used to take drugs, mostly weed. I hung out with lowlifes. I did petty crimes. My uncle made me move so I could start all over again. My aunt thinks I'm beyond salvation. She said I'm a ticking time bomb and I have probably given my cousins weed. Emily and Sally are 10 and 6. She insinuated that I would harm them. I would never do that", he said.

I knew he meant every word. I saw it in his eyes. I also saw the pain he was trying to hide. His aunt's words had hurt him.

"I'm sorry", I said gently.