14 - Wormwood

Chapter 14

Near Mariana Trench Abyss

200 Miles off East Coast of Guam

Jackson Hole, the unlimited class, deep-sea, research ship hovered over the work area using multiple station keeping engines. The hull-mounted electric motors swiveled around based on computerized grid lines for the site and military grade GPS coordinates. The powerful blades cut off and on in the desired direction to keep the three hundred sixty five foot (one hundred eleven meter) ship on station. The large ship, owned by the research organization Frothworth Energy Exploration (FEE) had been diligently putting four deep sea robot submersibles to work at securing the artifact found at about three miles (five thousand meters) down. Being east of the Mariana Trench the team worked hard at splitting time between the deep eddy site and the new site called wormwood.

The ship was connected by tethers to the robots and controlled in the secure area of the remote observation room. The individual robots were about the size of a four-door car, but had the important ability to reach the deepest part of any ocean. The high definition cameras and special lighting provided unhindered views of the now secure package.

Based on confirmed good weather and calm seas reported from spotter drones circling on a one hundred mile arc around the site the mission was a go. The order was given for the object to be raised.

Captain Jesse Sparks commanded the proud ship and currently sat on the bridge in the command chair. The primary operation of Deep Eddy, and now Wormwood, was managed by Director Dana Neely, but the actual individual projects were managed by Professor Sal Lancaster, Doctor Leo Keck and Doctor Sam Cody, each of whom had their own specialties. Since Ms. Neely answered directly to Senator Frothmore she was always underfoot and today was no exception.

"Jess, how is everything?" asked Neely, entering uninvited into the bridge control room.

"Ah, Ms. Neely. Great day for sailing I would say. The remote operation reports everything is going as planned. But I am sure you already know that," replied Sparks, taking in the view of a perfect day outside the thick glass panels of the bridge.

Smiling, Neely placed her hand reassuringly on Sparks’ left shoulder, as she moved toward a window to look at the deck operations.

"You know me well, Captain. I just came from the bowels of your noble ship where the real action is. I just came up for air and I have not been able to get in touch with Frothmore in the last twelve hours. It seems that the mainland is dealing with some peculiar atmospheric conditions. Amazing how this area has been spared the wind and space missiles," said Neely.

"Yes. I have been keeping abreast of the reports. I am afraid our luck will be running out in a few hours. The area will be hit by the same conditions. It is important to get the artifact on board and then batten down the hatches," said Sparks, rising from his captain’s chair. "Now, if you excuse me I have other duties."

"Of course," replied Neely.

Deck Three, Secure Area

Main Remote Control Platform

Professor Lancaster hovered over the shoulders of each of the remote operators while he went from one monitor to the other. The operators worked together to expertly bring the large chunk of debris up from the bottom some three miles (five thousand meters) below the surface of the cool waters of the Pacific.

Periodically Lancaster would review other stations that tracked the sonar images of everything going on down below and the radar for the surface and air environments. This mission was critical and incredibly exciting to him and the rest of the crew. The time element added some additional drama which boosted the excitement level.