Ch.4 - Devastation

2.5 Billion Years Ago
Fourth Planet from the Sun

"Lufireus, you have been busy," said the image, appearing surreptitiously in the center of the inner sanctum.

Roused from his seated pondering Lufireus stood immediately, closed eyes now blazing, and snorting short breaths of heated air.

"Taymullah!" he exclaimed, in the ancient language, before identifying the intruder as a slave messenger of his Grace.

Realizing the facility's imaging system had been remotely hijacked Lufireous quickly got over the initial shock of the projected intrusion.

"Why, are you here, Gabriel Dimetko?" he asked.

"Ah, old friend, but you know why I am here. What you want to know is how I found out so quickly?"

Lufireous did indeed wonder how his secret base had been located so quickly by the servants of his Grace, but that was another matter.

"You can't stop me! The insanity is over. We have had enough! There will be no more smothering or constant adoration absurdity. They will all see the truth and follow me," Lufireus said, standing more erect on the first throne step.

"Some, perhaps, but you will fail in the end, my Deveilian friend. Meanwhile, his Grace will allow you a certain opportunity to reconsider. You can return to your former obedience, and status, with no consequences," said Dimetko, opening his arms in a good will gesture. "Failure to do so will only be eventual suicide for you and your followers. On this, you have his Grace's word."

Lufireus harrumphed before moving down a step to place his long right index finger in the face of the image.

"You can't see past your own self-perfection. That will be your downfall, Dimetko. I will prevail and our collective peace will be whole. We will all have free will without interference from you and him."

The projected image began slowly flanking right around the throne chair in the middle of the white sparkly room.

"Know this Lufireous, by his word, you will not prevail," said Dimetko, sternly. "Your mind has become corrupted with all manner of depraved things. You can no longer see past your arrogance. His Grace offers positive and delightful fulfillment to his servants. What do you offer other than frustration and failure?"

"You say servants—I say slaves, Dimetko. There is a thin, but real difference. I offer total freedom and self fulfillment which you only know as a personal thing not to be shared."

"Dear Lufireus, you know as well as I do that what you are talking about is not possible. Besides, the servants are rewarded through focus on giving. It is purpose. That is the only emotional satisfaction that truly allows our collective presence to remain at peace. What you offer is pleasing at first, but it allows for variations which ultimately lead to chaos. You will not succeed in this tirade you have envisioned."

"We will see, Lord Dimetko."

"Then you leave us little choice. You will leave this place and your influence will be held in check until it is time for your final dispatch. Malak and Tariq will see to it," said the intruder, his bright image vanishing as quickly as it had appeared.

Lufireus slowly returned to the smooth white throne chair as it automatically adapted itself to the contours of its user. How should he continue now he pondered? Someone had been disloyal. His Grace was aware, but how? He was not finished recruiting, but he knew he had to act quickly.

"Sibatry! Come forth," Lufireus bellowed, in his best deep and thunderous voice.

The able and stout warrior captain materialized in ionized form in front of the throne in a kneeling pose.