Chapter 18

With tickled amusement, Evey watched as Walton straightened and smoothed his shirt and jacket, cleared his throat before opening the door to Watermelon Cove Realty for her. She knew that he had dated some back when she was growing up but to her, he was a forever confirmed bachelor. Seeing him all worked up due to his crush on Angela was so painfully sincere, it was downright precious. She wished Ellen was with her to witness it, her sister would probably get a kick out of watching him squirm so adorably. She was glad they had left early.  Evey was sure Walton's insistence on arriving ahead of schedule had something to do with making a good impression on Angela. But she had her own motive in mind. Before they had reached the office, she had made up her mind to talk to Angela about another option: using the property as a joint venture as an alternative to signing over the property in Brady's name only before he arrived. She knew it was a risk, both for the business venture that she had given up everything for as well as her tender heart if her plan got rejected. She knew that she was capable of backing out because she was so nervous so on the way over, she had asked Walton if he would deliver the proposed idea to Brady instead. She was sure she wouldn't be able to get the words out. She wanted to get the meeting over with as soon as possible yet at the same time, she yearned to see the look of relief and happiness on Brady's face to know that the farmhouse he loved all of his life would remain in the Casteel name. That would be part of her new plan, too. She was willing to remain on the business name only. After all, the farmhouse was part of Brady's history. Making the bed and breakfast dream come true was part of hers. Realistically, she knew that there was little chance that Brady would agree to it but still she held out a glimmer of hope that they could combine their two pasts to make a present. Even if he agreed, there would be a mountain of legal tidbits to iron out. In her heart, she knew that it would be worth it. She made up her mind that if he agreed, that would be the best outcome but if not, she would be happy with that decision as well. After all, she had not only agreed to sign over the house to him and allow him to buy her out but it was her own idea. She would move on and tried to keep remembering that everything happens for a reason.

She stepped into the empty waiting room, twin Tiffany-style lamps casted a warm amber glow around the quiet space, making it cozy and inviting. Through the door to Angela's office, Evey made out what sounded like a muffled conversation. She thought that Angela might have had a client on speakerphone until the door opened and Brady stepped out. 

Evey's heart lifted at the sight of him. He looked so handsome in a long-sleeved button up crimson shirt and black slacks. His dark hair was ruffled just a bit, enough to look alluring and polished at the same time. He nodded at Walton but his gaze was solely fixed on her. 

"You're here early," Evey said lack of a better conversation topic.

"As are you," he said with that special smile that she had come to know. She understood that his true genuine smile was something that he tended to save for special occasions. She felt honored to be a recipient. 

The magnetic pull that usually ignited between them was stronger than Evey had ever felt it before. Coupled with the sheer weight of his eyes on her made her feel dizzy and when she tried to clear her throat, what came out sounded like a strange high-pitched nervous laugh. She was suddenly aware that Walton and Angela must be uncomfortable as well taking in the embarrassing scene before them. But as she stole a glance towards the elder pair, she was surprised to see that not only where they not looking at them but they were completely caught up in their own exchange.

Evey watched with wide eyes as Angela, holding the pie box that Walton had so carefully carried from the restaurant, giggled after a jolly and bashful looking Walton said something before glancing down towards the floor. Angela was sporting a girlish smile and laughed like a flirtatious teenager at anything Walton was saying.