Challenge Accepted

Start from the beginning

“If I’m honest I’m more scared of Mr Dice than anyone else.” He said mentioning our history teacher. “I think he was in the mafia or something.”

I knew what he meant. Our history teacher was over packed with muscles and never smiled, and to top it off was very easily ticked off. There were even rumours about him having a gun hidden in his top desk draw. “I wouldn’t want to cross him.” I agreed. “Talking of Mr Dice, do you have any idea what you’re going to do for his project?”

Derek shrugged his shoulders. “I’ll wait until everyone’s picked partners to decide.” He told me.

“Who are you partnering with?” I asked him.

He pulled a face. “Whoever’s left, I guess.” He answered. “I’m not exactly close to anyone in the class, so I’ll wait for Mr Dice to assign me and someone else who’s been left partner-less.”

I frowned, and then brightened my expression to a smile. “What about partnering up with me?” I suggested.

He gave me shocked look. “D-don’t you already have a partner?” He asked with wide eyes.

I shook my head. “Not really I was probably going to be dragged into working with Britney or Courtney.” I told him, naming the girls from the squad that shared the class with us. “They’ll survive just fine with out me.”

“No. That’s fine. You don’t have to be my partner.” He shook his head.

Frowning I gave him an offended look. “Are you saying you don’t want to partner with me?” I asked quietly. “That’s okay if you don’t.” I shrugged looking at the ground.

“Wha- no! I’d love to be partners.” He fumbled over his words.

Instantly my previous expression was wiped away to leave a bright smile in its place. “Great!” I exclaimed, straightening myself and clapping my hands.

He tilted his head at me as if waiting for something to happen. I just smiled at him. “Starburst?” I offered changing the subject before he could argue anymore. I reached out my hand, picking out the packet that had been in my bag.

He didn’t pursue the partner subject further. Instead his lips wobbled into a smile as he accepted my offer, reaching out to pick one up. He opened it instantly and popped it in his mouth, before scrunching up the wrapper in his hand.

I gaped loudly, as if he had offended me and reached out to grab his hand. “What no! You have to attempt the challenge.” I scolded him. “It’s the price of the yummy goodness.”

“Challenge?” He asked, looking at me like I was a mental case. I rolled my eyes prying his fingers apart with ease and picking up the balled up paper in his hand, and carefully pulling out the creases.

“This one says you have to balance five starbursts on your head.” I told him.

He was watching me with a confused face show I showed him the wrapper in proof.

“Okay…” He said slowly. “But it doesn’t sound much like a challenge…” He said as I pulled out five move starbursts from the packet. Putting away his book he sat up straight back opposite me.

I grinned at him. “The hat is cheating.” I told him pointing to his head. “It flattens your head.”

He laughed, but nevertheless pulled off his beanie, letting his curly hair spring up. I eyed his hat for a moment, wondering if now was a good time to try seal it or if I should get to know him better first. Some people got sensitive over things like that.

Deciding to leave it I gave him back my full attention and poured the five starbursts in my hand into his.

He gave me a smile as he began piling them on his head one atop of the other.