Chance

A/N before I start, basically what's going on is
They're in high school, and jeremy is currently living with mike because of a recent suicide attempt and because of his abusive father
So yeah
Enjoy

-------

If Mike had learned anything from recent events, it would be not to put much faith in Jeremy's words. Lying came easily to the blonde, making it incredibly easy for him to convince those around him of things that weren't true.

Hence, Mike had developed a habit of checking on Jeremy constantly.

He mumbles out a quick goodnight to his parents, gathering up all his school supplies into his arms and retreating up to his room. Jeremy had done so a while ago, and Mike intended to make sure everything was okay.

He spares a glance at the wall clock as he heads up the stairs- it reads 11:15 pm. By all means, he should be asleep.

High school, he thinks bitterly.

He expects the door to Jeremy's room to be shut. Mike is surprised it isn't; a sliver of light peeks out from the inch or so of space between the door and the doorframe. Hesitantly, Mike nudges the door open, his arms still full of textbooks and such.

"Hey Jere..." He keeps his voice low, still berating himself as the blonde starts violently. He's curled on the bed with one arm tucked under his head, staring vaguely at the wall across from him.

"H-Hey..." He blinks a bit, his shoulders relaxing. "S-shouldn't you be a-asleep...?"

"Shouldn't you be too?" Mike raises an eyebrow, a small smile playing across his lips. He places his books down by Jeremy's feet, and he recoils from them as if Mike's higher-level classes would burn him if he happened to brush against them.

"I-I guess." Jeremy shrugs slightly, prodding Mike's textbooks with his sock-clad toes. A quick cast about the room reveals that Jeremy's own textbooks are scattered around the room. Mike catches sight of a geometry textbook, directing a bitter glance at his calculus book.

"I wish I were still in geometry," He states, sitting on the end of the bed. Jeremy gives him a wary look, pulling his legs to his chest.

"I-It isn't as easy a-as it looks y'know..."

"Wanna trade? I'll take geometry over calculus any day."

Jeremy giggles a bit and Mike's heart skips slightly. Jeremy's laugh has been such a rare sound lately. "I-I think I'm good..."

Mike allows himself a small smile, letting a small silence grow between them. Jeremy shifts slightly, lying back down; this time seeming a bit more comfortable.

"So..." Mike looks at him. "You feeling okay?"

The smile fades from Jeremy's face. "...I think s-so..."

"You think?" Mike's tone grows gentle.

Jeremy nods, tucking his exposed arms close to his chest and hiding the fresh scars. "Just thinking..."

Mike shifts closer, his legs running parallel to Jeremy's body. "About what?" He reaches to turn the lights out.

"Things..." Jeremy mumbles. The room darkens, though illuminated by the moonlight through the window. "Events that... recently happened..." He glances at his arms.

Mike trails a hand up the base of Jeremy's spine, careful not to pull up his shirt. "What about them?"

Jeremy shudders, hunching his shoulders slightly. "How it would've played out of things... hadn't quite w-worked out." He mumbles out.

Mike grows quiet, his fingers brushing the back of Jeremy's neck. "I've asked myself that plenty of times. It's best not to think about it."

"Easy for y-you!" Mike detects a hint of strain in Jeremy's voice, as though he's holding back tears. "Y-you don't know what it's like!"

Mike remains silent for a while. "...Do you want me to go?" He asks gently. Jeremy sighs softly before shaking his head.

Another silence stretches between them before Mike breaks the silence again. "Is it okay if I sleep with you tonight?" Again, a quiet sigh followed this time by a nod.

"Alright. Just stay here, I'll be right back." Mike stands, gathering his books and reluctantly leaving Jeremy's room. He slips into his room and places the books on the floor, grabbing a few things before returning to Jeremy; A few extra pillows, the blanket from Mike's bed, and a loose-fitting t shirt.

Mike slips back into the room almost soundlessly. The blonde twists to look at him, his cheeks stained with tears Mike chooses to ignore.

"Brought a couple of things...." He smiles faintly, presenting first the t shirt. "Since you seem to like sleeping in oversized stuff anyway..."

Jeremy slips his own shirt off and pulls Mike's on. "I-It smells like you..." He whispers.

"Cliché." Mike chuckles, tossing the pillows up onto the bed, followed by the blanket.

Jeremy huffs and adjusts the pillows to his liking before scooting back and making room for Mike. He lies parallel to Jeremy, carefully tucking both of the blankets around his small form. He lets out a small noise of protest.

"Y-You-You'll get cold..." He throws the covers over Mike as well, hiccupping ever so slightly. Mike gently pulls Jeremy into his arms, one hand resting on the back of his head and the other around his waist. Jeremy's arms come to rest tucked between he and Mike's chests. He goes almost completely still in Mike's arms, allowing himself to be almost completely hidden by the blankets. Idly, Mike's fingertips crawl into the fringe of hair at the base of Jeremy's neck. He twirls the soft blonde locks around his fingers, a slight purr rising in the back of the teen's throat. He shifts closer to Mike and allows his eyes to close.

"Mike....?" His already soft voice is barely above a whisper.

"Hm?"

"W-what if..." he pauses, yawning into Mike's chest. "What if t-things hadn't ended l-like this for me...?" A hint of fear colors his voice as he trails off.

Mike shrugs, his lips gently brushing Jeremy's forehead. "Who knows?"

"Comforting." Jeremy snorts.

"Hey, things worked out, didn't they?"

Jeremy grunts in acknowledgement. "And i-if they hadn't?"

Mike shrugs. "Who cares? Things worked out. You're alive and well, living in a safe space, and that's what matters." He presses his lips to Jeremy's forehead, first brushing the hair from his face.

"I-I care..." Jeremy mumbles halfheartedly, sounding as if he were in an argument he knew he wouldn't win. Mike chuckles at the thought.

Jeremy pouts slightly and curls up, his forehead tucked against Mike's shoulder. "I'm sleeping now..." he mumbles, closing his eyes.

"You do that..." Mike smiles widely, curling around Jeremy's smaller form. "Goodnight." Jeremy nods slightly in response, burying himself in Mike's shirt.

"Love you..." He mumbles, his voice heavy with sleep. Seconds later he shifts slightly and his breathing evens out.

"Y-you too..." Mike huffs slightly, feeling his cheeks heat up. He idly twirls a loose strand of Jeremy's hair around his fingers, choosing to brush off Jeremy's affection as exhaustion; after the recent trauma he'd gone through, there was no chance he trusted anyone enough to feel that way.

Mike sighs softly, looking at the sleeping figure in his arms.

Well... maybe there's a small chance.

A/n: Lookie there an actual oneshot