Part 10

Rita took Paco's arm as they made their way up to the church the next day at Zenai's wedding. Rita had stayed up well into the night with the girls, preparing food, talking, and getting to know them. To Rita's relief, none of the girls pried into her and Paco's relationship. At the end of the night, she retired into Zenai's old room. That morning she had dutifully rose, blowing out her hair and curling it, and slipping into an off the shoulder floral organza dress. Paco, who wasn't a part of the wedding party, greeted her in the living room, freshly groomed in a light blue button down shirt and navy khakis that matched the print of hydrangeas on Rita's dress.

Rita watched the wedding ceremony with a lump in her throat. She wasn't sure why she was feeling borderline emotional, she had barely just met Zenai after all. But nevertheless, some intrinsic need inside her was stirring to be acknowledged. It was better than the other intrinsic need stirring inside her. Paco cleaned up incredibly well, and she felt proud to be on his arm, even if she told herself it was just business.

Still it was strange as she introduced herself to family members later at the reception, and as she sat with Paco at one of the tables nearest to the bride and groom, with Paco's father, Angelica, and his brother Ramon.

"So, how long have you two been seeing each other?" Angelica asked, her bare arms propped on the tabletop.

"Well," Rita said, glancing at Paco. "Just a little while."

"So obviously you know what Paco does for a living," Rey said. "What do you think?"

"It's very interesting," Rita said. "I've met all kinds of people over the years but never a luchador. Paco's very talented."

"Eh, you hear that, Paco?" Rey said.

Paco smiled slightly, but he didn't meet his father's gaze. "Yeah."

"I'm glad you've noticed. Paco can be quite modest."

"I would've never guessed," Rita said.

"All my kids have been embarrassed of lucha libre at some point in their lives," Rey said. "But lucha libre is what paid for the house that I live in today."

"Rita, would you dance with me?" Paco asked suddenly.

"Oh," she said, glancing at Rey and Angelica, but Paco was already rising. "Sure."

Guiding her out onto the dance floor, Paco placed his hands on Rita's waist and back as they swayed gently back and forth. Holding her hands behind his neck, Rita pressed her body into Paco's.

"Thank god," he murmured.

Rita grinned. "For what?"

"That we got out when we did," Paco said. "Did you hear my dad getting all self-righteous?"

"He seems nice," Rita offered.

"To you," Paco said. "But speaking of nice, you look great today."

"Were you expecting any different?" Rita asked.

"No," he told her. "I was actually excited about it, to see what you'd look like. I couldn't sleep. That, and you guys were making so much noise."

Rita smirked. They continued to dance through the next song, tejano with its dance beat and accordion, and they parted slightly, taking each others opposite hand to bob and twirl to the beat.

"I thought you said you didn't dance," Paco said over the music.

"I never said that!"

He threw her out to spin her and brought her back in, causing her to laugh. A few songs later, Rita returned to the now empty table, sweaty and elated, as Paco ordered them drinks from the bar. She was having more fun than she thought she would have, and she was glad she had agreed to go. Making a deal with herself to expunge all negative thoughts from her mind for the evening, she sucked down her drink before the bouquet toss was announced.