Chapter Two

***I am actually uploading another chapter! I must really love you guys then! Anyway, read it and tell me how it is. Any constructive criticism is welcome! VOTE COMMENT FAN!***

Chapter Two

(Scott’s POV)

I watch her scurry out of the room and chuckle to myself. That girl is a piece of work. The way she acts like she’s indifferent but she really cares is funny. I can see right through her tough leave-me-alone act. Truth is, she’s a shy, vulnerable new girl that doesn’t want anything to do with anybody because she’s afraid of getting hurt.

I’m good at reading people, huh?

I stumble through the current of students to my locker. Turns out, it’s right next to Jordin’s. It was pretty funny the way she smashed her nose against the metal this morning. As I pop mine open, I catch a glimpse of fiery red hair out of the corner of my eye.

That girl is beautiful. She has hair like fire, flowing down her back and red bangs falling into her dark brown eyes. Her eyes are amazing, smoldering and intense, the color of soft milk chocolate. Jordin’s creamy skin and high cheekbones, her slender yet tall frame…

Shut up, Scott, I think.

She probably doesn’t want anything to do with me. I’m the known player of the school. But it’s not my fault—it’s really not! Girls just don’t want to stick around with me, it’s like I’m their play toy. They play with me for one night and then they disappear to go gossip with their friends. And when I confront them about giving the deep details about our relationship to their friends, they get defensive. That’s when it all goes downhill.

“Hey, man,” my friend, Adam, slaps me lightly on the back.

“Oh, hey, Adam,” I turn to him, slinging my backpack on my shoulder.

“Dude, did you see the new girl? Redheaded chick,” he asks as we make our way to the locker room for gym.

I nod. “Yep,”

“You like her?” He asks.

I consider fending him off her for a minute, and then think better of it. “Eh, she’s okay.”

“Good. ’Cause I do.” He says cockily.

I smile, Adam likes his redheads. For some reason, I don’t want my best friend anywhere near this girl. He’s like the heartbreak kid. And his name wasn’t conceived because other girls caused his nickname, he actually earned it. Adam has broken more hearts in one year than any regular guy has in his entire high school career.

We stroll into the locker room and change into our gym clothes. I pull on a pair of basketball shoes and a loose t-shirt. I lace up my Adidas and join Adam on his way out to the gym. As soon as we enter the room, the teacher bears down on us.

Twenty laps, forty push-ups, forty sit-ups, a grueling game of basketball, and ten more laps later, we’re back in the locker room. I change back into my regular clothes and head out my third hour, Painting II.

When I get into Mrs. Lewis’s class, she greets me with a warm smile. Hey, being the star quarterback of the football team has its advantages—all the teachers adore me and go easy on me because they want me in perfect condition for football season.

I look to my seat and see that there’s a curious redheaded girl there staring at me, her pink lips forming a small ‘o.’ I chortle softly and slide into my chair next to her, making sure not to break eye contact. Boldly, I slip an arm around her shoulders, resting it on the back of her chair.