Chapter 15 - The Day that Changed it All

Start from the beginning

"Manik can we have lunch together please."

"Aaann Okay let me check with Natasha about my schedule then I will let you know."

He picked his stuff and was about to leave when I ran after him and hugged him tightly from behind. Manik was startled by my sudden action. He paused for a moment and comforted me by putting his palms on my hands, slowly he released my grip and turned to me. He entwined his fingers with mine and looked at them lovingly.

"Nandu I am not mad at you..I know it was not your fault ..you were manipulated." He kissed me on the forehead to assure me of his words. I knew he meant what he said and he left soon.

I was finally relieved to get him the way he was. I knew it would take time but I would heal him.

***

The first thing I did when I reached AURA was to inquire about Manik's schedule from Natasha. He was actually busy that day. He had a client service meeting over lunch which meant I couldn't be with him. Suddenly I was behaving strange I was behaving like him. It was not even a few hours and I was missing him like hell. That moment I actually understood what Manik must had gone through when I didn't respond to his calls, I at least knew where he was. I could not concentrate on work; I just wanted to see him and my impulsiveness was crystal clear from my actions.

"What happened Nandini? Why are you watching the entrance like that?", Navya queried as she glanced my eyes darting to and fro towards the door.

"Nothing I am fine", I replied disinterestedly.

"Did you fight with Manik? You look so off today"

I gave a glaring look at her because her questions were actually irritating me. She understood and stopped bugging me. The next moment my lips stretched to adorn my face with the much awaited smile as I saw Manik walking in. He smiled back at me; he had come with a few associates and was discussing work. I waited for him to be free.

"Nandu listen, I am sorry I have a meeting over lunch", he informed me.

"I know Natasha told me already", I replied making a grumpy face.

"Listen let's do one thing, I have another meeting in the evening with suppliers, Why don't you come with me after that we can go for dinner."

"No... I have promised Navya... for a treat", I made a grumpier face and said sheepishly.

He pulled me by my waist and kissed the tip of my nose. "well then I guess we will meet at home only" he smiled as he saw me getting agitated over our schedules.

***

Even I was a little late that day when I returned home but Manik was not back yet. I spoke to him in the evening while he was in his meeting; he would be back in some time. I was very tired and wanted to have a bath. I threw my stuff on the couch and headed straight to the bathroom. The warm water relaxed my tired shoulders. I felt like standing under the running shower till eternity. Just as I had turned off the shower I heard the door bell buzzing continuously. It had to be Manik. He was such a kid, didn't have patience to wait even for one second. I wrapped the towel and walked to the door. I peeped through the key hole to confirm if it was him and opened the door.

"Manik what is wrong with you.. you have the keys right", I said in an irritated tone.

I had not yet dried myself and was jerking off the water droplets from my hair, when I suddenly felt the ground was swept off my feet. Manik had picked me up in his arms and took me to the bed. I clutched his sleeves in fear and looked at him but he gave away no expressions, he didn't even look at me. He threw me on the bed and scratched the towel off my body. I lied naked in front of him. I was not shy but I couldn't understand his behavior. He was not talking to me. He looked at me bluntly; I was unable to read his eyes. He came on me powerfully guarding me from all sides as if he didn't want to let me escape. I lightly touched my palm on his cheek and he pushed it away. I got scared.

Was everything okay?, he had a meeting today in the evening was it something related to it, but work never affected Manik in this way. Was it again something about his mother? I didn't know. But it was definitely something big. I wanted to ask him but just couldn't. He looked at me as if he was seeing me for the first time and he didn't know me at all. There were so many questions in his eyes but nothing came out in words. He slowly lifted his hand and rubbed his thumb on my forehead while his other hand clutched my bare shoulder and stroked it vigorously. Slowly his hand left my shoulder and trailed to my waist and he grabbed them tight. He always held me tight but today it seemed as if he wanted to dig inside me.

"Ouch!!" I shrieked unable to bear the intensity, "Manik please go a little slow its hurting", I begged him.

He stopped immediately. What was wrong with him? Why was he behaving like that? I again tried to touch his cheek and this time he grasped both my hands on either side. I was breathing heavily; he was inches apart from my lips. His proximity still was enough to drive me crazy. I struggled to release myself from his grip but couldn't.

"Manik what is wrong? ", I pleaded him to talk to me.

But he just looked at me, he had questions but he didn't want answers. Now I didn't want to know what had happened but just had to comfort him, but how? Neither was he talking to me nor was he letting me touch him. I raised my head a little and kissed him on the lips. He didn't react and I kissed him again. I felt his grip on my hands loosen a bit. I released my hands pulled him towards me and kissed him all over the face. I wanted him to react but all my attempts failed. I held his collars to pull him out of his trance but he didn't cooperate. I pushed him to lie down by my side and climbed on him. I unbuttoned his shirt and kissed his chest and neck hungrily. I bloody wanted him to respond to my touches, my kisses. Why the hell was he so cold to me? His indifference to me was killing me. Tears had already welled up in my eyes but I could not give up on him. I plunged onto his lips and sucked them till he responded. When his lips moved with mine, I got my breath back. I was still on top of him. He didn't hold me back, but my petite figure wrapped him like a blanket. I closed my eyes and desperately wanted this night to end. I prayed that the morning would be like the ones we had once upon a time.

***

I got up early not only because I was awakened but more so because I wanted to see the sun badly. The last few nights had been disasters may be the mornings could give me the hope that I was seeking. I didn't see Manik by my side. I got up and dressed myself firstly, my wet hair last night had become frizzy but I could manage them later. I looked for Manik around but couldn't find him. His jogging tracks and shoes were intact at their respective places which meant he had not gone for his morning workout. I checked everywhere in the apartment. I called him on his phone but he didn't answer. I was getting worried now. He didn't speak to me last night. I could sense there was something wrong. I immediately called Natasha to check if Manik had any early morning work related commitment. It was early though but I couldn't wait any further.

"No Nandini, Sir doesn't have any meeting now; his first meeting for the day is scheduled for 11 am."

"Natasha the last meeting that Manik had yesterday, Did it go well? I mean was there any problem pertaining to it."

"Which one?? The one he had in Regal Contour ..yeah it must have, sir manages his clients pretty well don't you know that?"

I ignored the rest of the details that she gave me, my focus halted at the name of the restaurant REGAL CONTOUR.

"What did you say the name of the restaurant was??", I had heard it right but still wanted to reconfirm hoping desperately that I must have got the wrong name.

"REGAL CONTOUR the one in Worli", she repeated the same name to my dismay.

"At what time he had the meeting", I was clinging on to the last bit of hope which was smashed when she uttered.

"6.30"

I hung up the phone without any further talk. . I got all my answers. Manik's behavior, his actions, his blank face and unreadable expressions, I figured out everything. My worst fears had come true Manik had seen us. Last night Manik was not caressing my forehead and shoulders, he was trying to erase those touches from my body. My heart sank as I repeated to myself loudly; Manik had seen me and Abhimanyu together.