Chapter 1 -- Epy

The first time I saw her, I thought I was seeing things. A girl in a gothic Lolita costume walking the streets of old Manila was not something anyone would ever expect to see late in the night. But there she was.

She was walking through Luneta Park like she was taking a stroll through there on a Sunday morning, not a Saturday night. I don't know why anyone would ever walk around in this area wearing that costume at this hour. It was asking for trouble. Well, if that was what she wanted, then she got it.

Behind her a fair distance, two men were tailing after her. I could tell they were up to no good. They each held a knife in their hand. I moved in closer to them, taking care that I was not seen.

As if oblivious to the danger, this girl walked slowly, letting the men get closer behind her. What was this girl doing? She was even heading inside a dark alley!

I stepped into a run. Once shrouded in the darkness of the alleyway, the men would make their move.

I stopped before the entrance to the alley. I flattened myself against the wall and listened. The men had started.

I could hear the girl's gasp followed by the guttural voices of the two men.

"Do not scream or we will kill you."

"Please, just take my money and let me go."

"Oh, we'll take more than that. A nice-looking girl like you would be a lot of fun."

"Yes, yes. I agree," said the other one.

The men cackled with glee.

"Looks like we hit the jackpot tonight."

"I'll go first."

"Why should you go first?"

"Because you went first the last time."

"Ok, ok. But hurry it up."

At that point, I entered the alleyway.

I quickly took in the scene before me.

One of the men was holding the girl's wrists, restraining her.

The other was behind him, waiting for his turn. Both held knives. I needed to make sure they don't hurt the girl. I wanted to make sure they don't hurt anyone ever again. Disarm and debilitate. That was my plan.

I came in fast as I slid out my tonfas. They were distracted with the girl so they did not notice me until it was too late for them. I disarmed the first man as I whacked his wrist with my tonfa and I smashed the back of the second man's head with the other to stun him. I turned to the first man. I swept the both sticks in a downward arc and broke his knee. As he fell to the ground in pain, I knocked him out with a knee to the face. The second man was next. He was recovering but still dazed. He slashed his knife at me. I dodged out of his way and countered at his face with the end of my stick, hitting his eye. He screamed in pain and dropped his knife. I finished the fight with another hit on the back of his head.

They won't be trouble anytime soon.

As I put back my tonfas, I turned to the girl.

"Miss, are you all right?"