Chapter 2 -- Kala

"I'm fine," I replied as I picked up my bag. I brushed my clothes with my fingers to shake out any dirt.

I faced my rescuer. He was wearing all black. He had a mask on that covered most of his face. He was wearing a black shirt, a black jacket, black pants and black boots. He had two black fighting sticks. Each one was strapped on to the side of his legs.

Oh great. I was expecting "Superman" and the one I got was "Batman?" For the first time in my life, I doubted my powers. The person who should have come to my rescue and save me-this was not him. I was waiting for someone else.

"Who are you," I asked him.

"Your rescuer."

"Ha ha." My laughter was dripping with sarcasm. "Who are you?"

"Most people would be thrilled at being rescued, maybe even grateful. You look pissed off."

I was chastised. "Look, sorry, ok? I wasn't expecting you to rescue me. I was expecting someone else."

"Someone else? Who, your boyfriend? Is this some crazy role-playing shit?"

"No, no! It isn't. I was just expecting someone else."

"So you set yourself up as bait? Are you crazy? You put yourself in a lot of danger."

Calling me crazy so many times pissed me off. "Hey. I was just pretending to be helpless. I know how to fight. Do you want me to kick your ass and prove it?"

Without waiting for his answer, I turned to go. I was about to exit the alley when he spoke.

"Excuse me, miss. Don't go yet. There is the matter of recompense."

'What?"

"Recompense. You know? Reward. Payment."

"I know what recompense means. Are you asking for payment?"

"Yes. I've just risked life and limb to save your life. I think a reward is appropriate."

"Appropriate? What kind of hero asks for payment?"

"I never said I was a hero. I am a businessman. I provide on-the-spot protection services."

"Oh, so you're a thief who pretends to be a hero. After you beat the other thieves, you steal from the victim yourself."

"One. I am not robbing you. I am merely asking for payment for the services I have rendered. Two, did you want to be raped by those two over there?" He pointed to the two men on the ground.

"But I did not need rescuing! I was pretending to be bait! I was waiting for someone else to rescue me!"

"Look, just pay me, ok?"

"No way."

"We are at a stalemate, then."

"So what do you do when the victim refuses to pay?"

"To be honest, you're the first. They had always paid. But in case it happened, I was planning to scare them by leaving the criminals with them."

"And how was that scary? You've basically sent these guys to the hospital already! Altogether, they have a concussion, a knee fracture, broken wrists, a broken nose, a broken eye socket and trauma to the eye. How was that going to scare me? Were you planning to beat me up too?"

He let out a sigh. "You're impossible. I'm getting a headache just from talking to you. Goodbye. I'm leaving."

I was glad he was going when I suddenly got the feeling that I should not let him go. This was still part of the Path. I was still going the right way.

"Wait."

He stopped and turned to look at me. "What?" I could feel the exasperation in his voice.

"I've got ten thousand pesos here. I'll give it to you."

"Huh? Why the sudden change of mind?"

"I'll give you ten thousand pesos. In exchange..."

"I knew there would be a catch."

"Let me finish, will you? In exchange, you'll take me with you."

'Take you where?"

"We'll go on a crime-fighting trip. It's like what you were originally planning to do, right? I'll just be tagging along."

"I thought you were waiting for someone."

"Yes, I am. But I feel like I'll meet him sooner or later if I stick with you."

"I can't even begin to understand what goes on inside your head. I don't think I want to."

"You don't need to understand. You just need to agree."

"Hmmm. So you'll go with me all night?"

"Yes, until sunrise. Oh, and no extorting the victims anymore. I hired you for the night."

"You think of everything, do you?"

"Most of the times." I smiled at him.

"Ok. I accept your proposal. Now give me the money."

"Let me get ready first," I said as I pulled out my cat mask and my jacket from my bag and put them both on.

"Where'd you get that," he asked pointing to my mask.

"Cosplay shop. It looks cool, right?"

"Whatever." He looked at me from top to bottom and sighed, "This is going to be a long night."