31. suspicion

"Afternoon, Doctor Carrington," a woman greeted. Her words sounded friendly, but she wore a stone expression identical to almost every human being the man had passed since he'd entered the building. He wondered if anyone really had emotion here. Everything was one-hundred two percent business and seriousness. It was difficult matching it, especially with Connor attempting to beatbox and rap in his earpiece. The nineteen-year-old's distraction nearly sold him out at security. If it weren't for Miss Evans who stepped in to save his sorry arse, they probably would've figured him out.

But unfortunately, it meant they were keeping a close eye on him. He already looked skeptical with his appearance - young with a crazed expression, which was really due to the fact the fake mustache pasted to his upper lip was itching like a bitch. It felt like he was wearing a carpet underneath his nose, but surprisingly he was playing it off rather well. Well, kind of.

He cleared his throat, wrinkling his nose in substitute of scratching the fuck out of the false hairs on his upper lip. "Afternoon," he replied, a little too aristocratically, but the woman had evidently already forgotten about his existence from the moment he'd pocketed his ID. Which was perfect. Less scrutinising, better chances of making it to the lab without someone noticing he didn't belong there. But it wasn't like someone knew everyone's face in the building. As far as any human being knew, Doctor Carrington was just another doctor hired to work in the lab. A completely fictional doctor hired to work in the lab. But that little detail didn't have to be mentioned anytime soon.

"I am surprised they haven't figured you out yet; you look so tense," Connor critiqued in Tristan's ear. "Chill, brother. Remember: casual strolling. Stop darting your eyes around! You look so suspicious. You're leaning again!"

The twenty-one-year-old mentally rolled his eyes at his friend. He'd been nagging him about his leaning posture in between his random musical selections ever since Tristan had entered the building. It was like every little move the dark-haired boy made was wrong or suspicious, which made him even more nervous. And it wasn't like he could shout at Connor to shut up. Everyone would think he was insane, if that didn't already. Tristan assumed he looked rather crazy - darting his eyes around behind his glasses, anxiously licking his lips, swinging his briefcase back and forth in a hand, wrinkling his nose, randomly straightening and unstraightening his back like he was casually body rolling through the building. Tristan had no idea how to look professional, which was sort of strange since he majored in business, but it wasn't like he'd been to school lately or anything. And anyway, Tristan always had the dialogue down more than he had the whole appearance, body language, posture thing.

So many anxious thoughts were running through Tristan's head at once. Posture was the last thing he cared about. Most of his anxious thoughts consisted of Bambi, and whether Joe and Connor snuck James and him in yet. Connor had been failing miserably to update him on his boyfriend, which Tristan specifically told him to do since the group changed the plans. It was always set so that Bambi and Tristan enter together and leave together, but since they had to part ways for the sake of the mission, Connor promised that he'd tell Tristan everything that was happening to his boyfriend from the moment they separated. And well, it was obvious how that was turning out.

Tristan pretended he was wiping his mouth on the sleeve of his blazer. "Where the fuck is my boyfriend?" he murmured into the mic.

"Well, damn, Mr. Potty Mouth. We sent James and him off into an air vent. But you should really worry more about how slow you're walking. We don't have all day, Evans."

If only Tristan could voice all the insults swarming in his head, and the fact how unfair it was that they were able to crawl through an air vent. Tristan had always wanted to crawl through an air vent. It'd make him feel more badass, and then he wouldn't have to pretend to be a doctor that Joe had literally created the night before.