Chapter 2: Vanilla Ice-Cream Is Not All That Boring

Cedar park is--undoubtedly--my favourite park in our small town of Rosewood. Full of trees, old ruins, a playground, and twisty dirt paths that can lead you to anywhere, I adore every little sediment of it.

Zack and I usually attend Cosplays and outdoor conventions in Cedar too, so I suppose I'm not too bummed out about spending the whole day, squeezed into a tiny picnic bench outside a pop-up ice-cream stall. It's a nice day today too, one of those Autumn days that usually pass me by because I sit in front of a TV screen all day.

I kind of regret not bringing my STW scarf, but at the same time, I'm thankful I didn't. The last time it did, an estimated six kids came up to me, asking me for my number.

The picnic bench that I'm sitting on is slightly uncomfortable, but my mind is preoccupied with something--correction--someone else.

I can't stop thinking about that stupid little moment Alex and I had, and what bothers me the most is, I usually don't get caught up in these things. I mean, I don't believe in love at first sight, nor do I believe in that so called 'spark' that girls my age experience when they meet guys.

To be honest, Alex I have as much connection as a potato and a squirrel do--which is a big fat zero.

But why did he frown when he heard my name? Why did he shake my hand a little bit longer than he should have? And why did his eyes cloud over like he remembered me? Like we've crossed paths in the past?

"Excuse me?"

I'm forced out of my thoughts as a girl with a jet black pixie cut and purple streaks pokes me in the shoulder (none too gently, might I add). Irritated that this pretty girl has bothered me, I open my mouth to tell her to scram because I'm busy, but just as the words are about to escape me, she gasps, and her eyes light up like a golden sunset.

"Never mind! I've found him! Alex! Alex! Over here!" she cheers, her round face lighting up like the moon at night time. Immediately I frown, and I follow her gaze, just in time to see Alex in his white work apron, jumping (somewhat heroically) over the counter and throwing his arms around this girl that's standing way too close to me for my liking.

He peppers kisses on her face, making her giggle, and I don't know whether I should throw up, throw my Nintendo at them, or awkwardly move away. Deciding that the last option is the safest, I quietly get up and edge away from Alex and his girlfriend (that he so kindly failed to mention before I began to waste my time overthinking about him and I, and stupid connections and sparks).

I back myself up into a cosy spot underneath the canopy of the ice-cream stall, trying to get as far away from the slurping noises that are coming from the couple that are shamelessly making out in front of the public eyes of everyone in the park.

"Cute, eh? They sure aren't afraid to show how much they love each other in public."

I jump in fright, not realising that Zack has been watching me, watching the love birds. I scowl immediately at his comment. He knows well enough that love and relationships are topics that I'm the most cynical towards. I haven't had a boyfriend since Freshman Year, and I'm intending on keeping it that way. Love is overrated, and I'm much more content with being alone.

"To be honest, it's a little gross, and you know for a fact that I'm never going to find public displays of affection cute." I scoff, scrunching up my nose in disgust. Zack tuts, and not seeming to take the hint that I don't want to talk about the topic, he pushes the conversation further, entering dangerous waters that only he--as my best friend-- can enter.