Why Do I Study Science?

Dear Sara,
You live for science fiction. The thought of what could be, might be, if only humans could figure out how to make it, is fascinating. Why, then, does the study of science bore you? I suppose because there is nothing fascinating in vocabulary and models, in words you can't pronounce and will never need. But imagine if everyone felt as you did: there would be nothing new, no what-ifs to consider, because no one would have done the wading through facts and figures necessary to get to the mystery.
You wait for the day the starships whisper through the skies, the day you do not pay for food, the day when death becomes an adventure for volunteers. Science is what will bring you to those days. Appreciate that, at least. You are learning about the stepping stones on the path to things that are for now only dreams. A few of these stepping stones fascinate you.
DNA, the thought that everything we are is made of- and can be ruined by- some sugars and proteins. Cells, the thought that there is a war waging in us every second of our lives. Neuroscience, the thought that we are all just computers piloting sacks of meat. You love those things because they are strange, so strange that you can barely comprehend them. But there is strangeness in all science, all life,
When you are bored in Science class, find the strangeness. Find the things that scare you with their uncertainty, the things that seem impossibly alien. Find the things that make you say "What if?", make you want to grab a notebook and a pencil and write.
From,
Your September 18th, 2015 self