A Dragon in Winter Chapter 4 Reality on Earth - today

A headache between the eyes was my awakening.

World Service had become Radio Four which in the background babbled its third repetition of a futile exchange between a rudely interrupting commentator and a politician with a message upon which he firmly intended to stay.

Jessica had risen early - and was probably somewhere else in our rambling home.

I was dressing. A scuff on the shoe I intended to wear attracted my attention. I found my glasses. On closer examination the scuff was a tear in the grey upper leather where it joined the sole.

'Something else that won't last even my few remaining years. God how much will a pair of shoes rush me? If I don't get them that's a fair chunk of my wardrobe I can't wear. Shit I've got to get changed now.'  

I sat on the bed, the shoe in my hand - my mind somehow completely paralysed by the decision to be made - wear the failing shoe or change the outfit.

Damien glided onto the floor at the point of my gloomy focus.

"Come on - we have things to do," he said.

"Oh, sod off. You're not supposed to be telling me how to run my life. Just look on. Now see this, the true human condition. Deterioration rules OK. The inevitable advance of entropy."

"Oh, for goodness sake," said Damien impatiently.

A starry halo briefly enshrouded the shoe and my hand, sending prickling sensations up my arm. The shoe wriggled. Now in my hand was the shoe - stiff, shiny and unwrinkled as the day the tissue paper had been unfurled to reveal it in Clarks shop, with its background smells of new leather and sweaty socks.

"Now let us go."

"You really don't understand do you?"

"What is the problem now?"

"How do I explain to Jessica a new right shoe and an old left one. No don't change the other one. I couldn't explain a new pair of shoes either."

"So would you like your old shoe back?"

There was a gleam in his eyes that made me hesitate.

"No-o," I said, "You'll only take that as a wish. I'm not getting caught."

Damien chuckled, "Well it was worth a try. Suppose I reinstate your shoe without the defect?"

"It's entirely your wish."

"You may be getting too astute. So what are we doing today?" 

"You don't do anything except ask questions and piss me about. I'm going to go into 18 Hebden Road. Do a preliminary recce."

"Oh, good."

"Why good?"

"I think we will both find it of interest."

I looked at the shoe once more. I couldn't find the tear. I might have imagined its existence. Maybe the whole incident had been a dream.

I came downstairs into the kitchen.

Jessica seemed more approachable. Composed and relaxed. She sat at the table, cigarette in hand, the local paper in front of her. She faced me with a smile and I went to her, kissed her offered mouth and said, "Hullo. How're you?"

"Fine."

I hugged her, and mumbled, "I love you."

"Love you too."