6

Dahlia

My heart is beating so fast. I look around at both of their terrified faces. We are going to die. All of us are going to die; we are going to die.

I haven't even lived yet. Life has barely begun, and it was going to end. They both turn to me and look for an answer, but I don't have one. Never have I liked not knowing the answers, but this time I really don't know. I don't know how to react or even what to think. All that sits in my mind is that we are going to die.

Then it hits me. "El, give me two bobby pins," I say desperately as my hands hold out shakily waiting for the pins.

She looks at me in confusion, but she eventually hands them over. I walk over to the door by the middle school. I get onto my knees and start to bend the bobby pins. Before this, I have only messed around with picking locks, but this time I had to otherwise we would die.

Listening for the clicking of the pins, my heart pounds almost more loudly than the clicks of the pins pushing into place. My hands are shaking so much as I mess around with each pin. They lock and unlock, and I'm doing all I can do not to panic.

Yelling sounds from out of the high school door. My hands are shaking, and then I hear it. The final click sounds, and I push the door open. As soon as we escape the middle room the sound of a gun goes off.

My heartbeat stops, and my mind turns to jello. I have no words for the fear I feel. The next sound we hear is yelling. They are searching the bathroom. We need to out of here now. I let the door close silently so the don't hear our escape.

I grab both of their arms and take a huge leap of faith. We leave the locker room. We sprint out of there, and as we are running we here another gunshot. I almost freeze, but something inside me keeps me running. I can't die. I can't let them die. We need to get out of here.

We see the weight room which have windows and mirrors, but there are places to hide, and it would be hiding in plain sight. Besides there are two exit points.

I pull them both into the dark room, and behind a few of the machines. We all hold still and sit in anticipation. Another gunshot sounds, and then I hear yelling.

My breath catches in my throat as their yelling nears us. We look to each other in fear. Then I hear it. "You all keep going, I am going to check out over here," yells out a very masculine voice.

Footsteps disappear, but I can hear the mans deep breaths. They are labored from running but they give away the size of the man. The door opens from our left, and my body freezes. Myles and El freeze as well. He was in here.

The lights flicker on. Steps are getting closer to where we are. I start to cry out of fear. Tears softly stream down my face as I try my best to ignore them and stay silent.

Suddenly El jumps out. Shit shit shit..... she is going to die. My body is shaking as my girlfriend is about to die. She stands bravely in front of him, but I can see her body shaking in fear.

"Hey pretty thing," says the man. "Why don't you come with me, I promise I won't hurt you as long as you give me what I want."

His gaze sickly caressed her body."No," her voice sounds out softly.

His eyebrows start to knit together in anger. "What did you say?"

" I said no."

A evil smile spreads across his face. "Aww... well too bad, I liked you a lot."

He aims the gun up towards her. Then I see Myles grab a water bottle from next to him and throw it.

It made a soft thud against his head. The man gasps in surprise from something being thrown at him. Next thing I know, Myles runs up, grabs a weight and hit them man.

Then in a blink of an eye, as soon at the weight makes contact with the man, a gunshot sounds. The man falls and so does Myles. I panic I get up and run over to them. El runs over to Myles, and I start to, but I see the man reach for the gun which fell out of his hands.

I don't know why but I decide to grab a different weight and hit the man again, but I don't stop. I bring it down it on him over and over; the sounds of bones breaking slips past my mind as all I can think is that he killed Myles and he was going to kill us. Fear and anger course through my body and I let him have it.

They couldn't do this to us. We didn't deserve this. Myles didn't deserve this.

"Dahlia," I hear a gentle voice from beside me. "Stop."

I stop my rampage as I look down to the bruised and bloody body below me. My eyes glaze over.

My body is shaking. I... I... I killed a man.

Breathing sounds back over from where Myles fell. Blood is coming from his arm, but he is alive.

A small shiver of relief sounds from my body, but as I look back down to the dead man in front of me, my world freezes.