This time, Connor finally answers. "Babe, what are you doing?" He tries to laugh, but I can hear the nervousness in his voice.

"How's that mouth?" I allow the venom to seep through my question. I hear the party going on behind him, but his silence the only answer I need. "Did her mouth feel oh so good?"

"Wh–what are you talking about?"

"Next time, make sure your phone's not in your pocket." I start to hang up, then lift the phone once more. "No, there's not gonna be a next time—not for me, at least."

I throw the phone into my purse and power down the sidewalk, tossing out a "Let's go" to the others. I keep walking, not waiting for their questions. I don't have any explanations anyway.

Lizzy finally trots up beside me, linking my arm with hers. She pulls me to follow Caleb.

The walk to Caleb's place is a quiet one, which makes me even more furious. I feel guilty that my angry silence is making the night uncomfortable for the others, and then I get angrier for feeling guilty. Why the hell should I feel guilty? Connor's the one who screwed up our perfect life. Well, not perfect, but good. Good enough, anyway. And if he wanted out, he could have been man enough to say something, to give me a heads up. That is what a real man would have done. Sure, it would have been tough. Break-ups almost always are. I might have even cried. But now he's cheated on me, and everyone knows and they're all being quiet out of respect for me and why won't anyone just say something? I heave a frustrated sigh, wondering why no one can sell me alcohol after two a.m.

Caleb stops in front of a building and breaks the silence. "I have a bottle or two of wine upstairs. Need a glass?"

It's like he is reading my mind and I want to throw my arms around him. Instead, I choke out, "Yes, please." I push past him into the building.

The lobby's warm taupe walls calm me down with each step. We all pile into the elevator before Caleb turns and hits the button for floor thirty-six.

"A penthouse bachelor pad. Impressive," I murmur.

Caleb and I are standing shoulder to shoulder, and I'm all too aware of his hand brushing against my arm. I sneak a sideways peek and see him glancing back down at me. He quirks the corner of his mouth in a half grin and clears his throat, looking back at the door. Suddenly, I find it hard to breathe.

Luckily, the elevator is quick, and Caleb digs his keys from his pocket as we step into a small hallway leading to big double doors at the end.

His bachelor pad is three times the size of my apartment. The front room holds two overstuffed grey sofas facing each other. The tall white wall to the right contains black-and-white photographic prints of landmarks from around the world. The wall to the left is all windows and displays the perfect view of the Charlotte skyline. A double staircase along the back wall leads upstairs.

Caleb ushers us into the living room, grabbing a bottle from a small wine cooler on the counter in the open kitchen. Caleb opens the bottle of white and pours five glasses.

Lucas hands me a glass and whispers, "Looks like my challenge just got simpler."

I purse my lips. "You don't waste time, do you?"

"Not my style." He shares a playful look. "Life is about the here and now. I want something, I go for it." His cockiness is something to be admired.

Lizzy drains her wine and grabs my arm. "Let's go to bed. We've had fun tonight. We won't let what's-his-name ruin it."

I nod in agreement, more so because I can tell she is definitely beyond her limit now. I really don't want to be left alone with my thoughts right now, but Lizzy doesn't need any more alcohol. I point at the couches. "Which one do you guys prefer?"