Just What I Need Chapter 13

Should I run? Yes, I screamed in my head. I should run and call for Ashton who’s just outside the gates. I really should do that. But I couldn’t will my muscles to move. They were defying my commands.

“Where were you last night?” Fray asked, his eyes lowering to mine.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and peered at him straight in the eye. “Why do you need to know?” I countered, sounding impressively confident—as if unaware that in front of me stood a Grade A Spy. A Creed. The son of Creed himself. The brother of Jade Creed—well, half, as Jade had said.

He shrugged. “I’m just verifying. I heard you knew.” He provided casually.

I considered playing innocent; responding with something like, “I knew what?” but I was tired of being innocent. It’s time to let them know that I was aware. Of everything. That they couldn’t keep me in the dark. That I was out of the dark itself. “News travel fast.” I answered vaguely.

He inched away from me and sighed. “So, you do know. And that’s why you’re here. You’re confronting Lauren.” All were statements.

I frowned at him. “What is it to you?”

For the first time. For the first freaking time, Fray was expressionless. His face was blank. And it was… so… so ominous, in a way I could not explain. Nothing like Jade’s glare last night when I tried speaking for his half-brother, but ominous all the same. “It’s my priority.” He gave with almost unmoving lips.

“W-what is?” I stammered, trapped in his gaze like a deer caught in a headlight.

You are my priority, Louise.” Louise. The name sent butterflies fluttering down in my stomach. He was the only one who called me Louise. Other than that, his words propelled a wave of irritation in me.

I felt my brows rise. “Well, isn’t that everybody’s duty?” I sneered.

For a moment, he looked confused. But comprehension washed through him immediately as he leaned back and crossed his arms tightly against his chest. “What did Jaden tell you?” He demanded.

Suddenly, I remembered my phone. Trying to look casual and not panicky, I got my phone from my pocket. “I think it’s none of your business,” I said. I scrolled on my phonebook for Jade’s number but before I could press the call button, my phone was snatched from my hand and I was pressed against the column on our porch with Fray’s hands on either side of my face.

I peered at him in surprise. The movement was swift but I didn’t miss that he shoved my phone on his back pocket. “Give me back my phone.” I hissed. I hated myself for feeling the thrill of the proximity and noticing how very, very close his face was to mine.

“What did Jaden tell you?” He reiterated, his breath tickling my skin in a way that should be forbidden.

I kept my firm though. “I won’t tell.”