Chapter Three

May 23, 1964 - Rome, Italy - Hotel d'Inghilterra

Napoleon and I walked into the lobby of the hotel arm in arm, smiling at each other as best as we could. Illya and Gaby were quite far behind, entering well after us.

"How can I help you?" The woman behind the front desk asked.

"Hello there." Napoleon responded. "Checking in under the name Alridge." He reached into the breast pocket of his suit jacket, pulling out his passport and I reached for mine in my purse. We both set them down on the counter and she looked at both of them. When she looked back up she gave us an odd look, and I realized that Napoleon and I were standing several inches apart from one another.

I reached for his hand and laced my fingers with his. "Aren't you excited, sweetheart?"

"Very." He forced a smile and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Well you're all checked in. Do you need any help with your luggage?"

"I think we'll be all right, thank you." I smiled at the woman and picked up my own bag. Napoleon reached for his and led the way over to the elevators. I looked over my shoulder and saw Illya and Gaby walk inside. Things seemed to be going smoothly, for now.

*****

Napoleon and I arrived at our room shorty after checking in. He opened the door for me and I walked in first, turning the light on as I did. "Well this is certainly a nice place." I added as I looked around the room. I set my suitcase on the dresser and walked into the bedroom.

"It really is." He followed me into the bedroom. "This seems a bit problematic." He sighed as he saw the queen sized bed.

"I'll take the couch, Napoleon. It's fine."

"No, I can't let you do that. You take the bed, I'll sleep on the couch." He brought his bag into the living room and set it on the coffee table.

I opened my mouth to say something but immediately closed it. Deciding to make things slightly less uncomfortable, I went out onto the balcony to take in the view. The sun was just setting and I had a perfect view of the city around us. I heard the phone ring inside and Napoleon picked it up. I could tell by the way he spoke that it was Illya.

"Amelia," Napoleon said from the doorway to the balcony. "Why don't we grab something to eat? We have to meet Illya and Gaby later this evening to fully speak about the mission and I think it would be best to go on a full stomach."

"That sounds like a lovely idea." I agreed and followed him back inside the room. "I think I'm going to change my clothes first, but I'll be back out in a moment." I walked into the bedroom and shut the door behind me. I took out a dress from my case and took off my blouse and skirt. I pulled on the dress and a new pair of shoes before walking back out.

Napoleon tugged on a new dress shirt as I walked out and I had a full view of his bare chest. "Sorry." I said, looking down as I made my way over to the front table and grabbed my purse.

"Oh come on. You know I'm not one to be shy." He quipped.

"You're right." I chuckled. There was a knock on the door and I made my way to get it.

"Hello Mrs. Alridge. I have some dresses for you that were dropped off in the lobby." The bellhop said as he handed me the garment bag.

"Thank you." I took the bag from him and handed him a few lira before closing the door.

"Someone's excited." Napoleon chuckled as he pulled his suit jacket on.

"Who wouldn't be excited about new clothes." I responded, making my way to hang them in the closet. "You of all people would know what I'm talking about."

"That is true." When I walked back out he was fully dressed but still fiddling with his tie in front of the mirror.

"Need some help, Mr. Alridge?" He huffed and nodded. "You know, I'd think after this much time you would have learned how to fix your own tie."

"I guess somethings never change." I looked up from his tie after I finished and caught him looking down at me. I set my hand on his chest for a second and looked at him too. "Well, why don't we head out then." I turned away and grabbed my purse.

"Sounds like a plan." He said, clearing his throat. "Now, Mrs. Alridge. This might seem odd coming from your husband, but what is your first name."

I chuckled. Since we had no idea that we'd be working together so... closely, we hadn't gotten the chance to tell one another out full cover names. "The name's Madelyn. And yourself?"

Grinning back at me, he responded. "Christopher." He held out his hand for me to shake and I took it, chuckling at the little game we were playing.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to call you Chris."

"I'd say that's perfectly alright. Shall we." He held out his arm and I looped it with mine.

"We shall." We left the room chuckling with one another. It was amazing how after all this time spent apart we could fall back into our old selves. It felt so much like old times. All I wanted was to fall into this world again. Just the two of us together.

But everything was for the mission. It was just a mission

Nothing was supposed to come of this.