Chapter Two

May 23, 1964 - London, England - London Airport

I arrived at the airport at 9:45, enough time to allow me to grab a quick bite to eat before my 10:30 flight. Just after I ordered my food none other than Mr. Waverly sat down across from me. "I'm glad to see your punctuality prevails."

"Well, it's a habit I've never been able to shake."

Waverly chuckled and continued on. "I'm glad you've made the decision to join us. I'm sure you'll help us greatly."

"I appreciate the compliment, sir. But if you don't mind my asking, who exactly is 'us'?" I implored.

"Well, I can't tell you exactly who right now, but you'll find out in due time. What I can say, however, is that we have a KGB agent, a CIA agent, and a newly trained operative who's recently started with us."

I nodded and drummed my fingers against the table. I'd gotten so used to knowing who I was working with that suddenly not being aware made me more anxious than usual about starting a new mission. "I guess I can wait then."

"I'm glad. I do think you'll get along rather well with most of the team. For now, just focusing on getting yourself to Italy in one piece. I'll see you on the flight, Ms. Blackbourne." He stood up from the table and made his way out of the restaurant.

*****

The short flight from London to Rome made the fact that I was seated in coach a little more bearable. I felt much more at ease about the whole situation as we arrived at the airport. Having not found Waverly after getting off the plane, I decided I'd just wait at the baggage claim for him, or someone else, to come find me. I waited for twenty minutes until I spotted him along with two other people. I made my way towards them and Waverly noticed me right away.

"Ah, there you are. Amelia, meet Illya Kuryakin and Gabby Teller. They are a part of the team."

"Pleasure to meet you, Amelia Blackbourne." I held out my hand and Illya took it first.

"Nice to meet you too. I'm sure we'll all get along while we're here." His thick Russian accent took me slightly by surprise and his height made him rather intimidating.

"Don't be so inviting, Illya. I'm glad there's going to be another woman on the team now." Gabby was the complete opposite of Illya, and the striking difference in height was quite funny.

"Well, it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up." I smiled at all of them, hoping my anxiety wasn't showing through. "Are we waiting for anyone else?"

Illya was the first to respond. "We're just waiting on the cowboy."

"How like him to be fashionably late." Gabby added with a chuckle.

"It's nice to see you too, peril." My muscles tensed at the sound of that voice. I'd heard it a million times, but it felt like a millennia since I'd heard it last. "You too, Gabby."

As I was standing behind Illya, Napoleon hadn't noticed me. That is, until Mr. Waverly so kindly had to draw the attention to me. "Solo, I believe you and Amelia have met." Napoleon's gaze fell upon me and I saw his jaw tense, as it always did when he got uncomfortable.

"Hello Napoleon." I averted my eyes from him. Things hadn't ended on the best of terms when we had last seen one another.

"Amelia." He nodded politely towards me and put his hands in his pockets.

The group was silent for a while, making the situation even more uncomfortable until Alexander cleared his throat. "Well, why don't we head over to the hotel. On the way there I'll give all your covers." He led the way out of the airport and guided us to a car to take us to our hotel.

"Illya, you're a Russian lawyer taking the next few weeks off of work to enjoy the sights in Rome with your German cousin, Gabby." I noticed Illya lace his fingers together in his lap as he started tapping his foot.

"As for Amelia and Solo, you'll be a newlywed couple here to enjoy your honeymoon." Waverly noticed the sharp intake of breath from not only myself but Napoleon as well. "I'm sure you'll all be able to pull it off." He had been addressing the whole group, but I could tell it was mainly targeted at Napoleon and myself. The rest of the ride was rather quiet as everyone prepared themselves for the task at hand.

We were dropped off around the block from the hotel so we could all enter separately, trying not to blow our cover as best as we could. "Amelia and Gabby, you'll each have clothes sent to your rooms later this evening. Most of them are for the formal events you'll be attending during the week. As for the gentlemen, I expect you already have all the things you'll be needing." Both men nodded. "Enjoy your stays. And please, don't muck this one up."

Waverly returned to the car and drove off while we collected our things and made our way to the hotel. Napoleon offered me his arm as we walked, attempting to make our relationship seem more believable. I reached my arm through his and grasped lightly at his bicep. It had been a long time since we'd been this close. A part of me enjoyed this and wanted it to last longer, but my common sense kicked in and I realized that this was all for the mission.

Nothing was supposed to come of this.