Lack of Color

The next Friday, Skylar decided it was his turn to pick what they did. Naturally, he chose to take Jamie to an art gallery to 'educate' him on art history. Jamie actually seemed excited and grabbed Skylar's arm as they walked towards the building.

"So tell me, when did you go to your first art gallery?" Jamie asked, tugging on Skylar's arm like a little boy.

"Well, I was probably about five. I got thrown out for putting my chewing gum on one of the sculptures." Skylar smiled at the memory.

Jamie laughed, "Really? Wow, I never would have guessed."

As they approached, they were faced with a group of lamp posts, standing proudly in front of the ticket booth. Letting go of Skylar's arm, Jamie ran towards one of them, hiding behind it.

"Jamie? What on earth are you doing?" Skylar laughed and chased after him, weaving in and out of the posts and trying to catch him, but Jamie was always just out of reach. They kept laughing, getting dizzier by the second and earning more than a few stares from people passing by. Finally, they both swung around the same post and ended up face to face. They both stopped breathing, staring into each other's eyes before Jamie grinned and bolted towards the ticket booth. Skylar had to catch his breath before he was able to follow, head still spinning.

Once they got their free tickets, they made their way down the walkway, up the escalator and through the doors. Jamie was immediately taken aback by the massive aluminum sculpture directly in front of them. "Wow," he breathed.

"'Smoke', by Tony Smith," Skylar explained and stood at the top of the stairs next to Jamie, admiring it along with him. "It was erected once before in 1967 at the Corcoran Gallery of Art, but since it cost so much, it was only a plywood mock up. This one is painted aluminum."

Jamie shook his head in awe. "It's massive, and really-- beautiful. It must have taken weeks to construct."

Skylar nodded and they stood there looking at it for quite a while before making their way down the stairs, watching as it grew closer and larger, just adding to its beauty and magnificence. Skylar showed Jamie the various works of African art before they made their way back up, going towards what Skylar said was his favorite wing.

"And this," Skylar said, pointing to a painting of what appeared to be a woman, but Jamie couldn't be certain, "is my whole inspiration for starting to paint." Jamie tilted his head to the side, the colors and shapes almost giving way to an image before he gave up and looked at Skylar apologetically.

Skylar laughed and shook his head. "It's a Picasso piece. It's called 'Weeping Woman with Handkerchief'. I just love Picasso's work. He does have realistic paintings, contrary to popular belief, but became known for this type of pieces, for his own take on art. This one is my favorite. He followed his heart and painted what he wanted to, not what was expected of him. It's entirely inspirational and-- isn't it just exquisite?"

Jamie just continued staring at Skylar, soaking in the energy and excitement he exuded, and smiled. "Absolutely beautiful," he murmured.

Skylar looked back at Jamie and grinned. "See, I knew you would enjoy yourself!"

After spending a few more hours looking at other paintings and various sculptures, they settled on a bench in the courtyard. Skylar caught Jamie staring and smiled. "You've been looking at me far more often than the art today," he said.

Jamie shrugged, "It's just that I find you far more interesting than any painting or sculpture. You're like-- the true work of art." He looked down, biting his lip as they drifted into a companionable silence. "I don't know, I still don't understand art. I get lost."

Occasionally, Jamie would look up at Skylar, unable to help himself. Sometimes, he met Skylar's bright blue eyes, making it harder to look away. He'd shrugged it off before, but after today, Jamie couldn't deny his attraction to Skylar any longer. Whatever it was he felt towards Skylar, it wasn't simply friendship anymore. There was more there, something deeper and more pure than simple companionship.

Jamie couldn't deny how beautiful he found him. Just the sight of Skylar today, so passionate about the different works of art, made something inside Jamie spark to life. It was an amazing feeling, and he decided he would do whatever it took to keep this man in his life.