New Beginnings

It's funny how one night can set so much in motion. It can start with such a simple thing, like going to a gallery event. That's where Jamie currently found himself, glass of Chardonnay in hand as his fiance chatted up some well known local superstar while some obscure jazz music played over the speakers. He'd been trying to get away all evening, but somehow Prestley had managed to keep him on her heels.

"So I told him, there's no way I'm wearing last season's Prada, do you know what that would do to my reputation?"

Jamie sighed and took another sip of wine, trying to ignore the conversation. He focused instead on the various paintings on the walls of the room, trying to get more than just splashes of color from the images. He felt in his pocket for his hidden pack of cigarettes and gave his fiance a small grin. "Hey babe, I'm gonna go get some more wine. You want some?"

She responded with a wave of her hand, keeping her concentration on the other man she was currently talking to. He shook his head and walked away, making sure she was still preoccupied before placing his glass on a table and taking a detour through the back door.

He reached into his pocket and shook out a single cigarette from the pack, placing it between his lips. His hands then went into his trouser pockets, searching for a lighter but coming up empty. "Shit," he muttered under his breath.

"Need a light, mate?"

Jamie turned at the distinctly British voice, seeing a man probably a few years younger than him leaning against the wall of the building. He was thin, but muscular and had short, mousy brown hair. His eyes sparkled even in the dim lighting and Jamie had to keep himself from staring too long.

"Yeah, thanks. I seem to have left mine at home," he said and stepped closer. Their eyes met as the younger man held out the lighter and Jamie inhaled a bit deeper than he would have normally. He coughed and smiled, moving to lean against the wall next to the other man.

"So. What brings you here?" The British man asked, taking a drag from his own cigarette.

"Well, to be quite honest I was brought here against my will," Jamie admitted.

"Ah, girlfriend?" The man guessed, smiling as he turned his head.

"Fiance actually," Jamie replied, tapping the edge of the filter.

"Congratulations on that one."

"Thanks, though I'm beginning to question her tastes," Jamie joked and grinned.

"Is that so? This not your style, then?" The man tilted his head to the side, a curious smile on his face.

Jamie shook his head. "No, not really. I don't see the point in going to these things, much less the art here."

The other man smirked, taking another drag and humming thoughtfully.

"I really don't see the-- be

Jamie watched as the other man blinked owlishly before bursting out into laughter. "I can see your point, actually."

"You can? Thank God, I thought I was the only one here."

"Yeah, totally. It's all a numbers game, yeah? More about the money than talent anymore," he said, finishing off his cigarette.

Jamie nodded and blew a ring of smoke over his head.

"Listen mate, it was great chatting with you, but uh--" The other man looked over to the door. "I've probably got some people in there looking for me."

"Understood," Jamie said and smiled. "Thanks again for the light."

"No problem," the younger man said. "Keep your chin up, eh? I hear the gallery closes in less than an hour. Here. Take this," he said, handing Jamie his lighter. "It'll make going through that pack much easier."