Chapter 2

A week has passed since the brief introduction of the clock watcher and during the entirety of the week, each day was just a mundane repetition of the other. Maybe perhaps with a tiny bit of change but you could barely even notice it except for, of course our dear clock watcher, 8-year-old Tyler.

"Stop fidgeting," Betsy hissed. The annoyance was obvious not only in her tone but also on her baked pretty face.

"I don't understand why I have to always use this dress when we are going to the bank." Tyler protested. She starts to tug on the hem, hoping in silence that maybe, just maybe if she tugged it a little harder it might just rip and then Betsy would have no other choice but to have the bus driver make a detour.

Of course, on a normal circumstance that would be highly impossible but with Betsy Johnson, it's a whole different story. She has the ability to make the impossible, possible.

"Why don't you start learning to complain less and perhaps start learning how to be an obedient child? Now will you stop, fidgeting!" She flicks the child's knees and that made her stop moving.

When they reached the main town, they walked towards the lamppost that stands a few feet away from the bank's main entrance where Tyler would usually be made to wait for approximately 20 minutes while Betsy tends to whatever business she has inside.

If you thought that they had only an abnormal routine practiced at home, wait till you find out just how damn-

"Now, just like how we've went over-"

"I know," Tyler sighs and that only made her earn another flick on the knee.

"Don't show attitude. Do you want me to take away your reading perks?" She threatens. If it was any other type of "perks" being stripped off from Tyler, she wouldn't have so much bat an eyelid but when it came to her books, she knew better.

"No ma'am." She sighs and shakes her head.

"Now, what are you to do while I'm gone?"

"I am to stay put until you get back and I am not allowed to speak to anybody. If they ask anything I should not reps- I should not resn-"

"Respond. For Pete's sake Tyler, all those books but yet you can't even pronounce such a simple word. Absolutely useless!" The last word pricked Tyler a little bit but the feeling disappeared quickly as it came.

Eventually, Betsy turns her heels and disappears into the bank. If only her personality is as elegant as her walk! Tyler thought. She simply sighs again and started tip-toeing around the lamppost while humming a familiar tune.

The scorching hot sun seemed to have taken delight on making it's spectators down below feel uneasy and dehydrated. The heat only made Tyler feel more irritant towards the now crumpled pink dress. After awhile she moves a little bit inward and leans against the building.

"Repsond, no. Res-pond." A small smile creeped upon her flushed face and she continued to repeat the same word for the next 5 minutes.

On the 15th of every month, Betsy would bring Tyler to town, solely for the bank or if not, to meet up with some of Betsy's girlfriend. You see, our dear clock- watcher is well... Let us just say that she is home-schooled for now. Now, you may think that Tyler would be excited for small trips like this especially since she doesn't get the opportunity to get out of the house often but it's absolutely just not the truth. She hates it because she doesn't see what the bank has got anything to do with her and even though she yearns for a little bit of freedom and the chance to go to school and have friends and golden star  stickers like Marie does, she'd rather spend the time at home than to follow Betsy on her meaningless excursions to town.

Tyler starts to just scan her surrounding and observe the towns inhabitants as they go about their daily lives. She continues to hum the familiar tune and was caught by surprise when she heard the same tune, being whistled. Her head shot up as she tried to find the human parrot. Soon after, it just became a distant noise which eventually disintegrated amongst the sound of traffic and other things.

Suddenly, a tall figure looked over her petite self. She looks up and places a hand over her eyes.

"Hey there champ! What are you doing here all by yourself?" The man asks. What a funny accent! She thought.

When she doesn't answer, the man simply chuckled and he bends down so that he was at equilibrium level with her. She simply backs away and looks at another direction.

"It's good that your mother has taught you well enough about the dangers of speaking to adults. But it seems like nobody taught her that leaving a child alone is bad. Don't you think so?" His words flowed out so cool and calmly.

However, Tyler wasn't even paying attention to a single word that had flown out of the stranger's lips. She was disturbed by his odd cologne which made her nauseas. It wasn't as pleasing and comforting as Joe's; earthly with a small essence of tobacco and a subtle flavour of vanilla.

When the man finally stood up, his necklace slipped out of his green polo t-shirt. The shiny silvery object gained her attention immediately.

"Where did you get that locket?" She asks, too eagerly.

"This? I got it as a gift." He takes it off and shows it to her. She hesitantly take it from him and examines the silver locket. It was oval shaped with a cursive M in the middle. There wasn't much design to it yet it fascinated Tyler, just like how the Joe's wedding band fascinates her.

She traces the M and felt a small leap in her heart. She looks back at it's owner and handed him the locket. He puts it around his neck and pats her head before walking away cooly into the bank. Her gaze follows the cool stranger and eventually her bright eyes met her mother's raging yet petrified ones.

Back at home, Tyler didn't hear the end of it.