Chapter 14

The Duchess smiled as her guests had arrived. She knew that Grayson hadn't told her everything, he was definitely withholding information. She knew Grayson very well, he never was very forthcoming about these two ladies. She only hoped that he chose one to be his wife, and hopefully it was the right one. Marybeth knew her son, he was blind to what women did. She was happy that he asked her for her help. This meant a lot to her, she wanted to make sure that he picked the right one.

As the carriages began to arrive, she couldn't help but get excited. Her daughter Ashley was a very shy girl. She had just turned seventeen, and not wanting to join in the season. Maybe this adventure of Grayson's would help his sister too, Marybeth could only hope. Maybe one of the two girls, her son was interested in could bring her out of her shell. 

Soon the house was full of guests, she had already met the one girl. Sarah, was definitely a beauty.  She wasn't to sure if that was the only thing she had to offer her son. She was going to take the time to get to know her. The last girl Lucy has yet to arrive, she could only hope that her son had chosen wisely. So far she wasn't impressed with the first one, beauty was only skin deep. He needed to find one that was beautiful inside and out.

She made sure that everyone was getting settled in, then she was going to make sure that lunch was served on the terrace. It was such a lovely day, she took advantage when the sun was shining. As she headed into the drawing room, the butler opened the door. She stopped in her tracks, she wanted to welcome their guests. 

Lucy walked into the  foyer, she was blinded by the splendor of it all. She had never seen a more well decorated house before. Her grandmother came in behind her, she was even amazed at the sight before them. Lucy smiled at her grandmother," I hope we are not late, I can't believe that we got stuck in that mud."

Joyce chuckled at her granddaughter," I don't think we are to late, hopefully things will get better." She was laughing at their luck for the day so far, their driver knew a short cut. It was a short cut alright, not one to take after a good rain. It certainly was very muddy, oh well they were finally here and that is all that mattered.

Marybeth was very surprised at the girl that had just came through the door. She was so beautiful, so young looking. She wanted to know exactly who this creature was, she liked what she saw. She had heard the conversation between the two. She wondered what this girls story was, it had to have  some drama. No one brought their grandmother as a chaperon. 

She walked forward as the maids took their hats and coats. She smiled," welcome to our home, and who am I having the pleasure of greeting?"  She watched as the young girl came forward, and curtsied.

" Your Grace, I am Lucy Dererux and this is my grandmother Joyce Clinton." Lucy was impressed with Grayson's mother. She looked young to have a grown son like Grayson. She could see the resemblance between the two. Although the Duke himself had taken ill, they were gracious enough to invite guests to their home. Lucy wasn't sure what to expect from meeting the Duchess herself. She just wasn't expecting the woman standing before her, she was definitely beautiful.