Acceptance and Surprises

At breakfast the next morning, Ron was horribly upset.
"A SEPARATE DORMITORY? THAT'S BLOODY MENTAL! EVEN MORE MENTAL THAN APPOINTING DRACO AS HEAD BOY!" Ron thundered. "ABSOLUTELY MENTAL!"
"I agree. Why did they create this new dormitory? It's never been an issue before..." Hermione thought aloud.
"Maybe they thought the Head Boy and Girl ought to take on more responsibility. So they gave them more authority."
They all stared at Harry as though he'd just grown an extra limb.
"It was just a thought...."
Ginny sighed. "Let's go. Class starts in five minutes. We shouldn't be late on the first day of term."

~

Hermione was too distracted to pay much attention to Professor Flitwick. She had already mastered the charms they were learning. Harry and Ron, however, couldn't manage them, and scrunched up their faces in concentration.
"Malfoy. He's a slimy, foul, evil, loathsome GIT!"
"Ron can't you at least make an effort to forgive him?" Pleaded Harry.
"I'm sorry Harry but I just despise that evil ferret."

At dinner, Ron started complaining again about Malfoy.
"How'd he even get Head Boy? He's vile! Harry saved all of our skins! Why isn't he Head Boy?"
"He wasn't a prefect, Ronald." Hermione replied in an exasperated tone.
"Right. Well...er... Right! I was! How'd be get picked over me?"
"No idea Ronald."
"You alright 'Mione? You seem... Well, different." Asked Harry.
"I'm fine. Just perfect."
They all stared at her for awhile before she confessed.
"Oh all right I'm exhausted! I think I'll go finish my homework then go to bed. See you tomorrow."

Hermione was just finishing her potions essay Professor Slughorn gave the 7th year Gryffindors and Slytherins, which was due the following day.
"If you want to pass your Newts, do the work!" Slughorn had shouted.
"Do you ever put the books down?"
"I'm best in the year aren't I? She retorted.
Draco seemed at a loss for words. "I... Well... Yes I suppose so. Is that the potions essay? Drat! I've forgotten! Would you mind lending me your notes, Granger?"
When she looked reluctant, Draco created an excuse.
"As Head Boy I need top grades."
"Oh all right! But you owe me now alright? Whatever I want."
"Fine have it your way."
Wait just a second. Did Draco just smile? He was working on the essay for awhile when Draco called over to her.
"Hey, Granger? I don't quite understand these notes you wrote. Here this section about the scorpion venom? Would you mind coming over an explaining them?"
"Erm... Alright. Sure...I guess."
So Hermione explained her notes to Draco and he finally succeeded in writing an adequate essay for Slughorn.
"Thanks Granger. Now I owe you two!"
"Sure. Well goodnight then."
"Yeah. Goodnight."

~

"Teach me to fly a broom."
Harry was so surprised he spit out his pumpkin juice.
"To FLY? A broomstick?"
"Yes. I believe that's what I asked."
"But you hate flying. You've never shown an interest."
"Well now I do. Will you help?"
"Sure Hermione. Whatever you like."
So that night Harry took out his Firebolt, and Hermione borrowed one of the school's Cleansweep 7's.
"So first thing you've got to do..."

That night she slumped into the dormitory muddy and tired.
"Woah Granger. Why're you all muddy?"
"Just let me alone Malfoy."
He wasn't at all sure why, but that bothered him. Puzzled, he didn't speak to her again for the whole evening, and fell asleep early.