Two

Everything was black.

Everything sounded muffled.

Where was I?

I tried opening my eyes but I couldn't, I didn't have the energy. The sounds became clearer. There were beeps, every so often apart, I could hear voices- It sounded like my parents but why were they here and where was I? I tried to open my eyes but I just didn't have the strength. I felt myself slowly begin to hear less, and then everything became muffled again.

''Whats happening,'' Was the last thing I thought before I began to feel myself lose consciousness.

-

I woke up, confused; My head pounding. I tried to adjust my eyes to the blinding light. The voices of numerous people hurt my head as I tried to understand what was being said. Finally, I adjusted to the light and realised where I was. I was in a hospital bed, why I was in here; I'm not sure.

A nurse came rushing in with a clip board, asking me questions which I just ignored.

"Why am I here" I inquired.

The nurse took no notice of my question and continued to write stuff onto a piece of paper. She put the clipboard down, "A few days ago you were in a bad car accident, which resulted in you being in a coma; we didn't expect you to wake up this early, or at all for that matter. You're lucky to be alive." She walked out leaving me there to think about what had happened.

"Rose! You're awake." My mum rushed to my bedside hugging me tighter than ever. "Rose!" my little sister Mary yelled. She tugged my arm and i flinched. I looked down to see a drip in my arm; I hate those things, they're painful.

"Where's Jake and everyone else?" I managed to choke out.

Mum went silent before taking a deep breath. "He didn't survive. Johnny's in a critical condition and still hasn't woken up. Aleisha and Sammy are both okay, with only a few cuts and scratches."

I felt a stabbing pain in my chest. Jakes gone.. my best friend. It's crazy how someone can be there one second and the next they're gone. Maybe if I had denied the offer to go out that night, he wouldn't have gone either and he'd still be here. My best friend.. gone.. I couldn't believe it, it can't be true. This has to be a bad dream.

"Don't think that you're out of trouble either"

Tears began filling my eyes as my mind thought about Jake. I was never going to see him again, never going to see his goofy smile, never going to hear his voice. It hit me and I didn't know how to deal with it. I couldn't care less if I was in trouble, I just couldn't bare the thought of living without my best friend with me.

-

I lay in the hospital bed staring at the walls for what seem's like a life time. There was a television in the room but we had to pay for it and no one was willing to do that, so i just stared at the walls. The nurse that i'd first seen as I woke up walked over to me, a tray in her hand.

"How are you feeling Ms.Marie," the nurse placed the tray of food on my bedside. I sighed, not wanting to talk to her or anyone right now. "Shitty" I played with my fingers and cracked my knuckles, something I often did when I was nervous or upset.

"With the way you're recovering, we think you'll be able to leave today. Although, we've spoken to your parent's and you'll be going through therapy for the next three months which will be organised this week"

I sat up quickly, "Wait. Why therapy. What for?"

"I think it'd be best for your mother to talk to you about this, I was only told to let you know of the therapy"