"Why? You stole the book. Why change your mind all of a sudden? Got a soft spot for Rain?" he asked.

I huffed. "That's ridiculous. Just fucking give me the book", I said.

"Oh, alright", he said and handed the book to me. "Geez Ryan. You stole Rain's book to take credit for his drawings? That's just sick man", he said loudly.

For a moment I was confused. What was he talking about? He was the one who'd...oh. I realized what he had done.

Rain was standing just next to us. He'd been walking to his locker, but stopped. His violet eyes flashed anger in them. Jesse had seen Rain and his sister walking past us and I hadn't. He'd deliberately changed things to make it seem like I had taken the book. Ok, I had taken the book. But I had been in the process of getting it and taking it back to Rain.

Rain obviously didn't see that. All he saw was his book in my hands. He'd heard Jesse's words. All he knew at that moment was that I had taken his book on a mission to take credit for his drawings.

Rain's sister- Julie- opened her mouth in shock. I opened mine to say something, but was distracted when Rain walked up to me.

"I'll take that!" he said sharply, grabbing his book from my hand. "And Ryan, be prepared to face disciplinary action".

He walked away. Julie followed, but not without saying, "Thief!" to me first.

I just stood there, puzzled at what had just transpired. I was brought back to earth by Jesse laughing.

"Disciplinary action on your second week? That's a record", he said.

I felt like punching him square on the nose. At least then I would be facing disciplinary action for something I had done. Okay, stop shouting! I know I had taken Rain's book.

"Since you've cost me dearly, I will definitely testify against you. And the crew will hear about your little stab of conscience. Such a weakling", he said. He was provoking me and I was seconds from exploding.

Jesse wasn't scary. I could easily wipe the floor with him. I could also get expelled and send my uncle to ICU.

"Tell them the fuck you want, I don't care", I said walking to my locker.

"Oh I will. I'll be counting the seconds it will take you to come groveling too. And Ryan, stay away from my girlfriend", he said.

"Oh I will. That skank has been around anyway. Who knows what disease she's carrying" I said.

It was a low blow, I knew it. Rosaline had nothing to do with what we were discussing. She had been nothing but nice to me so far, though she did seem to have been around a lot.

"What the fuck did you just say?"

"Jesse, go running to your friends", I said dismissively. I was focusing on the things in my locker by then.

Before I knew it a fist landed on my jaw. I felt the sting. Lucky shot. I hadn't anticipated such a move, but when he swung again, I was ready. I turned quickly and caught his fist in my left hand. Lowering our now joined hands, I swung a fist towards his face, landing on his cheekbone. He grabbed my hand with his free hand. I released my left hand and swung lower, landing on his chest. Both of his hands went to his chest. I pushed him against the lockers.

"Don't start something you can't finish", I hissed.

I let him go, backing away from him. There was no one in the hallway by then. I was glad actually. I was already going to the books for theft, no need to add fighting to the list. I hoped Jesse wouldn't tell, but he looked like a snitch.